GoKunming Forums

How to get proof of address?

hendrik22 (14 posts) • 0

Hello!

I will be travelling to Kun Ming next year for 6 months. The plan is to get chinese drivers license plus make a purchase to buy a motorcycle.

I have read that i do need proof of address. What if i stay at hotel does it count as proof of address to register vehicle? If notplease tell me how is it for me at Kun Ming to get proper proof of address?

What about rental agreements? Are those hard tomake with locals?

Thanks!

Kernalpanx (74 posts) • 0

I believe you can get a temporary license that way ... But onky for a car. You need a non tourists visa with either 90 days or 180 day period minimum... Might be wrong.

I did not need to do this for many years.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

A rental agreement would work for proof of address, but it needs to be an official rental agreement. You then would also need to register with the PSB for your district.

hendrik22 (14 posts) • 0

Thanks for information!
What would be the easiest way for me as a foreigner to get a rental agreement from someone? What channels should i look for?

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Easiest way to get a rental agreement would be to rent an apartment........but you might find a 6 month rental difficult as most terms are for 1-year.

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

To follow up on Kernalpanx comment....to get a driving license the legal way your visa needs to allow 90 days stay or longer per visit. You also need to have a foreign license of the same class. If not you'll need to use an agent which is bloody expensive.

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Easiest way to find an agent is firstly to find the area you like....then just look around there are real estate agents on most streets near residential areas. The biggest problems are a) most don't speak English or other foreign languages and b) a lot of them are useless! Best to go with a Chinese speaker and be very specific about your requirements. If the 1st 1 or 2 places are not to your requirements then walk away to the next agents!

You'll also find that most landlords want to rent for 12 months...as the agents fee is 1 months rent. So be prepared to pay more for a 6 month contract.

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

i just ran into this issue... you must have a valid rental contract for length of your current visa/RP. my RP is one year but my rental contract is 6 months. The local police deparment did not accept it, i had to have my landlord redraft a new lease agreement with 1 year.

also agent fees can be bargained if you sign contract same day. you can also use agents to view aparments and request the apartment owner is present during viewing. get the apartment owners contact information.

Most of them own quiet a few apartments in the same area, after a few days send a.message if they have any unlisted apartments or apartments people recently moved out of. you will have to clean it, and foot the last month electric/water bill that the tenants didnt pay. (still cheaper than agent fee)

lemon lover (1006 posts) • 0

"I will be travelling to Kun Ming next year for 6 months".
Six month? Are you walking? Understand you like to have a motorbike when arriving.

Related forum threads

Login to post