GoKunming Forums

Two foreign English teachers deported in north Chi

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The NEED to reply to my every post - your hatred is so obvious - Hehe! Like silly putty in my fingers. I am glad that I occupy space in your small mind.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

There are many foreigners teaching English illegally in China. I don't think they're all bad teachers and I think their numbers are often exaggerated on these forums.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

People don't realise how numerous they are because nobody talks about it. But they are there, and there are a lot of them. They might not be bad people, but they are aware they are illegals.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Good article as it deals with topic at hand. Once again, it has nothing to do with being a good or bad teacher or the resume (CV) of the teacher.

If there was a way to get the total number of Quotas (Legal) allowed in Kunming and compare it with the actual number of foreigners teaching (Illegal) I am sure many people will be surprised at the results of this ratio.

GK has become more popular and well known so this is a reason why there are many advertisements of people looking for jobs here. However, this also is related to the huge number of people coming to China.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

It is almost every day that I see a new ad of someone looking for work, any work.

A good reason to look at the push/pull factors of immigration.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

Well I guess we have been trough this topic many times, so I just copy-paste:
Well I understand legal English teachers that they are so pissed off about non-native speakers teaching Eng. without working visa ( coz they cant legally get any ). Obviously it has nothing to do with taxes or quality of teaching, which is usually brought up as an excuse ( and I probably get hammered here for that one ), but actually the price for teaching is dropping down with growing numbers of CVs coming to the lang.schools. In SZ, years ago you could make 300 per hour, now u r lucky if u get 150 - 200 ( native speaker and preferably US ). I dont have to explain the reason for that, right? The true is, they are cracking down on school now quite hard, so price might pick up again. There were cases when Pakist. teacher was jumping out of the window to run away. In other hand, in most of EU countries u can work part-time even with student visa, here u can do sh** even if u get married. Which technically I don't get it, how to live as father of family without being able to work and support your family? If u r not a native speaker and want to live with your Chinese wife here? All foreigners who I know and they run biz here, have it all written on their wife and officially they don't do anything. Not sure if any official in gov. thought of that? Or is that a purpose, to make a foreigner being always fully dependent on his/her CN partner?

I mean they even show it on TV, how laowai married local girl and opened up some hostel, or running the organic farm etc.? So what visa they have for this kind of business?

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Non-native English speakers working as English teachers aren't the problem. You don't have to be a native speaker to teach a language. The problem is the unqualified or inappropriately qualified ones and those teaching English on tourist or business visas and tutoring on student visas. Oftentimes, those are native English speakers.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I met a guy here from Pakistan (non-native speaker) who was teaching English. I have no idea how he got the job. I guess the school figured whoever could speak a little bit and would work cheap must be ok.

Related forum threads

Login to post