GoKunming Forums

Two foreign English teachers deported in north Chi

onlyone (156 posts) • 0

Adjust font size:

Two foreigners were deported for working illegally in north China's Shanxi Province, the police announced Monday.

A 59-year-old woman from the U.S. and a 25-year-old man from Pakistan had been teaching English in the city. They were arrested in early August, according to Yangquan City public security department.

The training institution that had employed the two foreigners was not certified to employ foreign teachers, the police said.

They were deported via Shanghai Pudong International Airport on Aug. 15 and will not be allowed to reenter the country, the police said.

Source: china.org.cn/china/2015-08/24/content_36401406.htm

The Dudeson's (1106 posts) • 0

sounds like they got the wrong people. as i mentioned in previous posts,
if they were lied to and supplied with the same; fake, illegal or incorrect visa, that most teachers have in kunming and china. then we should all, already start booking our plane tickets. since most schools have no legal documents to employ expat 'TEACHERS'. i think the number would be in the 98% in kunming. i know only 2!!!! schools, providing those documents.

but why punishing the schools? if you have a scapegoat, by default?

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

As a 59 year old I don't think you can qualify for a work visa applying from outside the country.

Sounds like a couple of chancers. Never heard of fake visas.

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

Is it so hard to work in China legally? Real question, I don't know. Real teachers (not just non-Chinese who happen speak English with no training or education) who here legally, should WANT the fakers and illegals to be deported.

In my experience China makes it pretty easy for someone who wants to work to get a visa. Compared with other places its a piece of piss.

Some people just can't be arsed.

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

Napoleon why so many illegals then? Also, why do real teaches tolerate fake teachers?

Why so many illegals? That's what I'm asking. There shouldn't be.

The shame of being an American working illegaly in China. That should never happen should it? According to some on here everyone is better off in America.

Why do people tolerate fake teachers?

Because I have no idea who the fake teachers are. As do most people I would imagine. Unless a CV ends up on my desk I wouldn't know one from Adam unless I observed a class. Then again, I've seen people with education MAs teach like they've just fallen out of bed.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

There is a limit between PSB and schools about how many foreigners can be hired. Each school has a certain quota. The majority of schools do NOT have the ability (permit) to hire foreigners. It is not so simple as it seems. There are hundreds of schools out there and they all want foreign teachers so they must hire them illegally and take their chances. The school MAY get a fine but the ones who really pay the price are the people who get deported and no longer allowed in.

You are confusing a good or professional or qualified teacher with a teacher who has a working visa - 2 different animals. CV has nothing to do with this. Schools want a white face they could care less what is in their resume.

Some poor slob who knows nothing about teaching anything can walk in to a school that has the right (quota) to hire foreigners - he gets a job. Along comes a very qualified teacher but there are no more legal openings. NO job for him or he can go to a school and work illegally and take his chances.

Related forum threads

Login to post