GoKunming Forums

Hospital recommendations for giving birth

mickeyh (119 posts) • 0

Chinese doctors have so much experience delivering babies that it is nothing for them to pop one out. 1.5 billion people. Are you sure you must have only a Western doctor?

Kunming!Rocks (20 posts) • 0

Yeah, I agree with mickeyh. You realize how many doctors China is producing every year? more than EU and US combined! They got to be doing something right to be able to train so many doctors. I would have more faith in Chinese doctor in Kunming than a western one. Who knows what kind of credentials these western doctors have, or where they came from in the first place. As far as I know, they could be actors pretending to be doctors.

Alex, I didn't say anything negative about you so I would appreciate it if you don't make a personal attack against me. Besides, isn't that against forum rules, anyway?

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

"As far as I know, they could be actors pretending to be doctors"

You're talking about Western physicians at Calmette Hospital. That's pretty much near slander.

Alex, I was not talking about any one doctor or any particular hospital so I don't see how that is slander. I was just saying, there are many cases in China where foreigners are being hired to present themselves as something they are not. How can I know a foreign looking doctor is really a doctor? But if it is a Chinese doctor, their license can be easily verified in a matter of minutes.

Also, is the following statement slanderous?

"Probably throw up by third one due to msg overload, unsanitary bowl or chopstick catching up to you"

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

A number of issues spring to mind.
Firstly, people should be able to choose what hospital they want without being judged by the unknowing.
Secondly, the idea that because you can turn out a large volume of doctors, says nothing about quality.
Thirdly, Chinese hospitals are very busy. There is an article on CCTV about the new government plans for doctors. A case is given of a doctor who set a record of seeing 170+ patients in one day. The doctor has admitted that he was worried that he could have misdiagnosed people, and didn't have time to work out a proper treatment plan. That was on national Chinese television, given as a reason why change is needed.
Fourthly, many of my wife's family are doctors or pharmacists (TCM and Western meds). All of them have reservations about the quality of doctors in SW China. Even a director of a heart department in Kunming advised me not to have surgery in China, unless I could get into a top hospital in Beijing.
Fifthly, popping out babies is easy, but they don't always pop out. Babies born to Caucasian-Asian parents can have specific problem.

Finally, people who turn every topic into a pro-china missive (wu mao - sockpuppet - or just thoughtless) are spoiling the forum as much as, if not more than, those who call them out.

I agree with you Tiger, but why can't the Chinese decide for themselves. Westernization can be good but not always.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I am sure there are many Chinese language forums on these topics, sites that were set up specifically with the needs of local Chinese in mind. Why do people have to come onto an English language website, set up with the needs of local expats in mind, and force their agendas?

Roger and out.

mickeyh (119 posts) • 0

tiger, you are right about the forums, for sure. Purely out of curiosity, what needs of an expat are fundamentally different from the needs of a Chinese person?

Related forum threads

Login to post