GoKunming Forums

Average rent of an apartment

Delibeli (21 posts) • 0

Thank you all so much for contributing really good information about my query.

I am surprised/shocked that landlords want 12 months rent up front, I could do 6 months but a years worth is madness. What if you don't have the finances at that moment or if something goes wrong in the apartment are you likely to get reimbursed?

I hope when I do move to Kunming I can find a suitable place which won't cost the earth.

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

@Chreine, @Liumingke:

Yup, I lived in Jiangsu for a while and most people there never heard of this 6 months in advance thingy. I call it bullshit and refused to pay it here.

@Mprin: Yes. Check your mail.

Crheine (17 posts) • 0

I was in jiangsu also. Nanjing. Never did that. Here the landlord agreed 6 months. So that saved me a little. And then the Internet for 6 and the management fee etc. For a student using all his savings it hit me pretty hard :)

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

@Liumingke1234 said: "When I first came here and heard of this it blew me away. 6 months upfront!!!!! 1 year upfront!!!!!!!WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You think I'm rich?"

I was also surprised with the 6-months/1-year rent and thought having to pay the management fee was a scam. But don't forget that the rent is much lower here than in 1st tier cities. Even if they want 1 year for say a studio, the total would still be lower than paying 3-months in Beijing for the same kind of place. Plus, if the place is furnished, it makes sense if they want a 2-month deposit. And even then, that would still be cheaper than a Beijing deal.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I've never rented here but in other cities you'll get the landlord to pay the management fees without much hassle. Most have paid them upfront for the year anyway, so that money's already spent for them.

Could be all different here though, most of these things seem different city by city. I've never paid a month's rent to the agent, but understand it's the way of things in Beijing. I remember just paying a 200 - 400rmb finders fee.

To get around this you could try finding a building you like, go to the management office and ask if there's any apartments for rent. You may find they even have the keys and they'll show you the apartment and introduce you to the landlord as this will all be covered in his management fees, so will cost you nothing.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

What is the relevance of rent in other cities if we are here in Kunming. I have rented in other cities but it is meaningless to mention it here because the OP is asking about Kunming.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Kunming is the only city I have known that does this one year rent thing, and it is a shock. If you don't want to pay 1 year up front, if you are very lucky you may get six months, but most landlords will want the year and not budge.
You can often go to the management office who act as agents. But they also want their fees, and the landlord will also want the year up front. Don't expect it to be any cheaper.
In Kunming you won't get the management fee bundled in the rent. If you think that all of this is for the landlords convenience, then why would he/she want to take on the extra work of visiting the management office and paying the management fees. Remember some landlords don't even live near the apartment. But they will take the time to take a years rent in cash.
The only thing that I have ever seen included in the rent is the water bill. Possibly because it is periodic and a bill may arrive after the tenant has left. Or days after they arrive.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

My current place is the first unfurnished one I've ever rented and the landlord initially mentioned rent every 3 months with 1 month deposit. Previous landlord wanted 1 year because the place was fully furnished. Prices for furniture here is the same as in tier 1 cities. If you broke the fridge, a 3-months rent for a studio in Kunming plus deposit wouldn't cover a replacement, while in tier 1 cities, a 3-months rent plus deposit for the same kind of studio would buy two fridges. Some landlords also rely on rent as their main income and cost of food here (except fruits) is more expensive than in tier 1 cities.

The renewal date for management fee at my previous place was a bit more than 1 month before my departure. I just told the management that I had given a one year fee to my landlord and they reactivated my magnetic card. The landlord paid the fee after she came back to give my deposit.
It's possible to shorten the rent fee period here by paying a higher rent. In tier 1 cities, you can pay a lower rent by giving fees for a longer period (doesn't seem to work with agents)

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

@HFCAMPO

Giving him perspective and maybe some ideas he can throw up in negotiations that have been accepted without much fuss in the past.

Don't mind do you?

Rasssul (36 posts) • 0

Hi All, planning to go to Kunming next year, probably will need an apartment near Long Xiang Street and/or Jianshe Rd, Wuhua Qu, is it difficult to find a one bed, fully furnished one? Thanks

Related forum threads

Login to post