GoKunming Forums

Yunda Uni entrance exam

broming (6 posts) • 0

Hi I'm going to be attending Yunda this year in and I have been told I need to pass an entrance exam. Different to the HSK, (which I have passed), this exam includes maths and Chinese. I have to travel TO china to do the exam before I find out if I pass, so I'm a little afraid that I might fail and have to go back home. My maths is not very good and I'm not sure how much preparation is needed.

Do any students of Yunda have any experience with the entrance exam (for bachelor degree students)?
Thanks

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Broming, may I ask -

What major will you be studying at Yunda?

Which level HSK did you already pass?

Which campus will you be going to? Cheng Gong or 121 Street?

JCMKM (14 posts) • 0

I have had a similar experience with Yunda, but for postgraduate studies. The international students department accepted my application, but then insisted that I needed to go to the postgraduate students department who insisted that I needed to sit the Chinese Postgraduate Students exam. As I am not a Chinese citizen I don't have a Chinese ID number so couldn't enrol in this exam even if I wanted to. Classic Chinese bureaucracy. Eventually (after a year) of constant visits and negotiation, Yunda finally agreed to enrol me provided I sat an exam provided by the department I was interested in,which was mostly just to check my Chinese was up to par. This exam was very pro forma and I just needed to do it to tick the boxes but it was a serious hassle to sort it out.
In terms of a bachelor degree, it might be a similar story. Please be aware that the admin at Yunda is very unfriendly towards enrolling foreign students in degrees which are not Chinese-language degrees (i.e. normal degrees) and you will need to fight to get in. Alternatively, look into options of getting a bachelor degree scholarship through the Chinese government or Confucian centres and nominating Yunda as your choice. If you are a scholarship student, they can't really refure you, though you'd have to wait for next years scholarship round.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

or just go to SZ and do it in English with Chinese lang. as addition. Not sure which major u study, but in SZ would be very happy if you join their business whaterversomething class with the Bc outcome .Only extra 2000 rmb for semester as an addition to the existing 8800 rmb fee for CN classes.Not sure how they managed to pull that one out and what value or leg. has that Bc. Check their website if interested.SZU

broming (6 posts) • 0

@HFCAMPO
I'll be studying Sociology in Chinese. I think I will be starting at not-Chenggong campus. (not sure if that is called 121). I've passed NewHSK4.

@JCMKM
Cool, that's kind of what I was expecting. I do get the sense it's going to be more of a formality, but I'd like to know for sure. I've been told after I pass the exam they will be able to enroll me. (so hopefully I've passed all the hassle) Although the exam is on 9th September which seems really late - I thought semester started earlier than that(?) Not actually sure. Do you have any friends in the uni who are bachelor degree students who may have had experience with the Entrance Exam?
I should be enrolling for the september semester so it's too late for scholarships or considering other unis

A12345 (102 posts) • 0

To be able to read the books and follow the lectures your Chinese should I think be a few levels above the new HSK6.

JCMKM (14 posts) • 0

If your exam is on the 9th september it's definitely more of a formality than anything. Semester should start around the 15th. If it was an official (state government) exam it would be held in Feb-March.

I also would just add a note of caution in terms of A12345 comment about language levels - if you have a new HSK Level 4 you are going to struggle massively in lectures. When I started my masters (Chinese history), I had passed my old old HSK 7 levels 3 years prior and had been living in China for the remainder of those three years and I can honestly say I understood maybe about 60% of what was going on in class. Just be forewarned and prepared to really study your ass off for the first year to catch up on vocab. Make a couple of friends in class with readable handwriting and get copies of their notes. Chinese students in general are super friendly and will be super happy to help.

Last point - I think your degree will be in Chenggong. As far as I know, all bachelor students at Yunda are at Chenggong.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

HSK4 ? and u r going to study something in Chinese? How is that possible? Im preparing for lev 5 and can read only comics books or articles in our school books, like most of the foreigners who already passed 5. Are u sure u r going to understand what they say? Sociology is not particularly vocab included in HSK4 ( thats advan.beginner - intermediate level ), as A123 said, HSK6 and u can think abou it:-)

But anyway, Yunda is hungry for foreigners and their cash obviously, so they let u sit there stare blank, pretending that u have clue what teacher is talking about :-) And then probably help u with exams to show the good results of Uni, as I can imagine:-) So dont worry, u ll be fine;-)

broming (6 posts) • 0

@JCMKM That's a good point about the date of the exam. They said we would receive our results 3 days after, so it would be a pretty big shock to be told a day before semester that I am not attending. But you never know. I'm still worried about the potential for failure and what that might mean. Would love to hear from some bachelor students who know more specifically about the exam, but maybe I'm just being overly worried at this point.

I've been told students are still in the middle of moving campus and I'm more likely to be at "Not-Chenggong" until next year when we will move to Chenggong. But I guess that's another thing I'll find out when I arrive.

Thanks for the heads up on the Chinese level. I am not thinking this is going to be easy, and I totally agree NewHSK4 is no where near university level. It doesn't even have a real writing section haha. I only did it, as that is the minimum requirement for uni entry. But my actual level would be more towards HSK6. I'm sure I could at least pass HSK5 with decent marks. I practice reading newspapers and simple novels in my spare time so I hope that gives me some kind of basis to help me adapt. I've practiced listening to Chinese lectures, with mild success, but totally reliant on Chinese subtitles. I'm sure a live lecture would go right over my head.
My plan has always been to just study my ass off when I get there. Treat it like an intense, probably-not-so-fun Chinese crash course. I think it's probably very good advice to seek the help of some classmates. Recorded lectures would also be a massive bonus.
Thanks for sharing your experiences, really good to hear.

Related forum threads

Login to post