GoKunming Forums

Gang fight at the small community park

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Yesterday, there was a gang fight between what looked to be junior high to high school students - to include the use of steel bars as batons (rebar?). There were over 20-30 students going at each other, until the police arrived and they all scattered like cockroaches.

The issue wasn't that there is a rather large group of miscreant students around where I live - the point of the post - if you see a rather large group of male students loitering in an area AND it's unusual - call the police to come take a look (assuming, they'll come).

It may be innocent - in which case, no harm, no foul. On the other side of the coin - the police will have visually and personally identified the kids - in case something NOT innocent occurs.

It's a form of pro-active neighborhood watch and I was shocked, surprised, and generally ticked off that something violent and criminal like this would happen so close to my home.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

@hfcampo
Decline to comment in public. PM me if you MUST know, but I live in the modern-ancient part of town - building are over 20 years old and I WISH some developer would come here and buy us out - but not gonna happen.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

But, although its not pleasent to have in your own back yard, you're going to struggle to find anywhere on earth where this doesn't happen.

One advantage of China is that its safe and there isn't any such 'rough neighbourhoods' or shanty towns that exist elsewhere.

This situation could have happened anywhere. I have rarely seen anything like it in China, so I'm not going to double lock my door at night over it.

It happens all over, on a regular basis in all cities. In Liverpool its Protestants and Catholics, In Zim its Zanu PF and MDC. Now, I know that those two are much more dangerous to be caught in the middle of than school kids.

In America its people who wear blue T-shirts and people who wear red shoes or something, so I hear.

We live in a city with 3 million odd people. Luckily the majority of them aren't dangerous.

Maybe its the start of the decline.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I've rarely seen kids hanging out in groups. They're too busy studying and doing their many homework. One of the good things about living in Kunming. Haven't seen any 'gangs'.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

I see large groups like this regularly, often wearing their gang colours too (white track suits with bright coloured accent). No rebar in hand, but they often have bags which may or may not contain weapons (IED?!). They tend to gather in front of schools around 8am and then again at 4:30pm. Luckily there always seems to be police nearby already.

Related forum threads

Login to post