GoKunming Forums

Kunming Taxi Service Is Very Good

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

btw i lik thiz writin schtyle, therez no biggie brotha goin make senze of it.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

sorry for bringing up this thread on top of the page again, I just got really angry this morning in front of train station. Nobody wanted use the meter and asking for double of normal price. I said to woman that is illegal and I can report her. She was laughing and pointing on ph.number on cab which I should call and complain.My gf is local and even KM-hua wasnt help. I've tried HCampo's style to record it on my phone, but they were laughing even more. I guess the local government and taxi head office know about this already ( I guess today is not a 1st day they doing like that ) and dont have any need to change it ( maybe just keep the drivers happy, give them feeling to make an extra bonus for early morning get up from the bed or something ), because otherwise I believe there would be already some guy/s to keep eye on it.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Yes, frustrating when confronted by the taxi mafia. The overwhelming majority of drivers are ok, kind, honest (I had a phone returned by a driver who made considerable effort to return it). Despite this, I've virtually liberated myself from the vagaries of the Kunming taxi system by purchasing a subway card. It's a brisk 20 minute walk to the nearest subway station but it's considerably cheaper, more sociable and traffic congestion is now a problem for others. Not convenient for everyone but if you can use it then get a card and enjoy the freedom.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Yeah, the train station is the only crap spot where they try that. At least there they are trying to ripoff everyone and not just laowais if it makes you feel any better. High season just makes it all worse.

Plenty of buses there. Another alternative is to walk a few blocks north to subway. Or walk a few blocks any direction and all cabs go back to normal, meter no hassle. Of course, this assumes light luggage. If you have heavy luggage and really really hate the taxi mafia, then hop on any bus for one stop, get off, then hail a taxi.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Alex, I have had this pulled on me at the West Bus Station, as well as at the train station. I usually don't need a taxi at either place, just take the bus, but occasionally have wanted one and have just tried another cab, possibly after walking a block or so. It worked, total wasted time about 3 minutes.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

They also do it at Haigeng Park, Haigeng Daba, Qigongli, and I am sure other places where people can get stuck for a taxi.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

There is no subway going where I live . I live south-west near Dianchi lake. We didnt have heavy laguage ( not light either ) but 6am after not much sleep I was willing to spare 15 kuai ( taxmeter price ) to get home in 15 min and have hot shower and soft bed. We walked to 2nd traffic lights on BJ rd and tried taxi again. Same story ( 30kuai ), so walked another few hundred meters and took the bus which goes at least near to our area. I mean, it wans something very hard for us ( we backpacked all South EA in past and I did also south America or countries like Marocco or east Turkey ), but when I hear or see that local propaganda about improved tourism here, its just make me feel puke. Chinese people love eat more then any other nation I guess, but KM trainstation after 10pm has nothing to offer for eat except Dicos, which was all sold out! ...never seen this in any country:-)
Hope Im not gonna get hammered for complaining about all China ( like it hapens to other posters here ), but really sorry, I have to "steam out" somewhere. GoKm is good opportunity :-)

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Forgot about the bus stations. Didn't know about Haigeng, cuz I am always biking to it, but good to know. I assume they are enforcing meter at the expo. Taxi greed probably can't override the law there.

Napoleon (1187 posts) • 0

I have the same problem every time I'm at the East Bus Station. Have yet to use the complaints line, but one way around it is to dididache.

Each time I go on the metro I'm hit by a wall of smell every time I enter the carriage. Why didn't they install windows that can open? Another thing that gets me is why people sit facing each other, if there was a seating plan like one a bus, two seats each side, more people could sit down. I find it very difficult to get a seat sometimes. A hopeless metro system - but better than nothing I suppose.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Kunming metro kinda resembles every metro in China. Wasn't smelly the few times I rode it, but maybe it's different when it's peak time or full of rained on people?

Related forum threads

Login to post