GoKunming Forums

Kunming Taxi Service Is Very Good

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

@forlorn. Here will do nicely thank you. Did you not recently write: 'Any updates on the dredlocked, smelly Green Lake Western beggars?' Where you ever familiar with these people and was this your 'considered' opinion?

forlorn (68 posts) • 0

nnoble, stick with the topic, please. Why do you not like Kunming taxis?

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

As a self confessed professional English teacher I would expect better textual analysis. I clearly stated I was 'content'.

forlorn (68 posts) • 0

nnoble, you stated that you were content only because you had settled, and that you, overall, see the Kunming taxi system as less than good. Why is that?

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

if your in centre taxis ok unless you wanna go to the boonies. depends where you live. in the boonies some areas mostly black cars who wanna charge 3x the fare. then taxis want same. if already out of centre some taxis only want to go back to centre. peak hours they wanna stay within the ring road and will flick you off

Otto Melon (46 posts) • 0

If the taxi service is "objectively good" why are you asking what we think?" If we express an opinion which disagrees with you we are contradicting the objective facts. You seem to be right about everything, so I'll just agree with you.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

@forlorn: I mostly move around the city center. There doesn't seem to be a pattern, other than that it's close to the shift change, and my destination isn't near the cabby's house. I guess they're hoping to get a fare to pay for their way home.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

In general, I agree with forlorn on KM vs Beijing taxis. Bit more dishonest drivers there who will do things that make KM taxi issues look relatively minor. Of course we could make Beijing taxis look like angels if you compare to xishuangbanna.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

I virtually never take a taxi while public transportation is running, but I'm aware of the annoying shift change periods. Taxis I take, almost invariably late at night: once in a great while I have been refused, the driver simply saying he's going off work. A few times I was asked to pay more than the meter fare when I got in (near either the train station or the western coach depot); I refused and got out, took another taxi. I never take black taxis, and virtually never take taxis out of central Kunming.
I have no complaints about Kunming taxis in 10+ years here.

fixitwithahammer (165 posts) • 0

"Kunming taxi service is very good" - Hahahahahahah!

Kunming has by far the worst Taxi service in the entire country, at least, as for a 'big city'.
Based on the following flaws.
I lived in Beijing, Chengdu, Kunming extensive travel to Shanghai, Shenzhen, Guangzhou,

Here are a few of my observations...

unjustified customer rejection:
BJ -rare
GZ- very rare
SZ- very rare
SH- very rare
CD- very very rare
KM - very often

attitude of driver/responding to directions or criticism:
BJ - argumentative
GZ- positive
SZ- very positive
SH- positive
CD- very positive
KM - not positive, argumentative, and/or aggressive or passive aggressive.

price/pricing and price transparency:
BJ - transparent / meter
GZ- transparent /meter
SZ- transparent / meter
SH- transparent / meter
CD- transparent / meter
KM - nontransparent due to surcharge. prices vary, but mostly go up.

in most cities the driver needs to take the airport expressway and forwarding the costs to the passenger but telling the guest ahead of time.

All city driver's do so!

Overcharging passengers:
BJ - very rare
GZ- extremely rare
SZ- extremely rare
SH- extremely rare
CD- extremely rare
KM - mostly [due to fuel surcharge], -very moderatly a few Jiao's up to 2 kuai in the city limits.

unasked assistance with luggage examples here are; big luggage or baby equipment, stroller, etc.:
BJ - very often,...depending on size or item.
GZ- always, unless driver is busy
SZ- always, unless driver is busy
SH- always, unless driver is busy
CD- always, unless driver is busy
KM - never, unless asked, or at transport hubs, or special occasions e.g exhibitions

cheating/ taking a scenic tour:
BJ - rare
GZ- very rare
SZ- rare
SH- extremely rare
CD- extremely rare
KM - extremely rare

common courtesy/ manners:
smoking [w. guests present]
BJ - occasional smoking, guest being asked for permission.

GZ- rare, asked for permission.
SZ- very rare
SH- very rare
CD- occasional, being asked for permission
KM - very often, no regard for passengers, even with children present.

Spitting
BJ - very often
GZ- often
SZ- rare
SH- very rare
CD- very rare
KM- very often

Overcharging passengers:
BJ - very rare
GZ- extremely rare
SZ- extremely rare
SH- extremely rare
CD- extremely rare
KM - mostly [due to nontransparent fuel surcharge]

unasked assistance with luggage:
BJ - often,...depending on size or item
GZ- always, unless driver is busy
SZ- always, unless driver is busy
SH- always, unless driver is busy
CD- always, unless driver is busy
KM - never, unless asked, transport hubs, or special occasions e.g exhibitions

cheating/ taking a scenic tour:
BJ - occasional

GZ- occasional
SZ- rare
SH- very rare
CD- extremely rare
KM - rare

Passive safety features:

BJ - rear seat-belts hidden away
GZ- rear seat-belts hidden away
SZ- rear seat-belts hidden away
SH- rear seat-belts hidden away
CD- rear seat-belts hidden away
KM- rear seat-belts hidden away

Driver's driving skills
BJ - at night often falling asleep driving
GZ- safe and normal speed
SZ- safe and normal speed
SH- safe and normal speed
CD- racing rather than driving, but mostly savvy
KM- slow and insecure, lacking spacial awareness.

Somehow most Chinese are allergic to seat-belts. Leaving no choices for baby seats or safety, for rear passengers, and making the entire car a death trap.

Most of the excessive spitting I blame it on places in China with lax smoking regulation, and government effort on enforcing its regulation.

Taxi rides are quite cheap compared to other countries, but considering the overall service and safety issues, I personally would prefer to spend a few extra kuais knowing I could use a seat-belt or baby seat.

These are my observations and most of my friends, coworkers and family share similar experiences.

IMHO I think CD drivers are the best in terms of service, price and overall experience, Beijing is at the lower end of the list but still ok.

Kunming is by far the worst in my opinion but according to my wife also voted by various travel guides and sites and the most lacking in the country.

Related forum threads

Login to post