GoKunming Forums

Tetanus shot in Yunnan

kc430kc430 (81 posts) • 0

My Chinese friend has never had a tetanus shot, so I recommended one for travel outside China. Friend consulted Kunming doc, doc said you can't get one in Yunnan, maybe Shanghai or Beijing. Does that sound right?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I find that hard to believe. I would try a major hospital.

Tetanus shots are one of the most common shots given in Europe. If you get a cut, one of the first questions they ask is, 'when did you last have a tetanus shot?'

CromsonCromson (145 posts) • 0

The OP is right, i also wanted to refresh tetanus shots and where told by several doctors that it is not recommended in China. They will give you a shot, if you happen to get injured but not in advance. I wonder what if there is no doctor near and one does have an accident.

Will try to get the shot's done in the next two weeks, let's see if it's possible.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

My Chinese friend has never had a tetanus shot - no idea how old your friend is but he has survived this long without the shot. I am sure he can survive without it for a while longer.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

In my opinion, which is based on experience in kunming hospitals, Chinese doctors recieved their degrees the same way most kunming drivers get their licences..as a result they are not well educated and skilled in professional medicine.
If you doubt me ask me in person..

forlorn (68 posts) • 0

mike4g_air, I have lots of experience with Chinese hospitals, doctors, and medical universities, and I can assure you that you are wrong.

Also, are you aware that getting a Chinese driving license usually involves weeks of lessons, then a rigorous road test with an angry, yelling instructor? It is much more difficult here than in my home country.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@mike: I've dealt with doctors in China, some seem better than others, true, but generalizing and saying the ones in the public hospitals get their licenses the way many drivers get theirs is an unfair exaggeration. Anyway, it doesn't take a lot of experience to give a tetanus shot - what you have to do to find a place that gives them is something else, and I don't know the answer.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@OP: Why recommend tetanus shot for going outside China - where is your friend going, is there more tetanus there than here? I don't know of a country in which tetanus shots are not available, at least once you are wounded or whatever - just like in China.

Related forum threads

Login to post