GoKunming Forums

Buying a new backpack

Dannnny (1 post) • 0

Hey everyone!

I'm in the market for two new backpacks. One for school and one potentially for backpacking/carrying a bunch of clothes. Where should I go in the city should I go to get ones of at least somewhat decent quality and what should I expect to pay for them?

Also, I've read the thread about buying backpacks someone posted about three years ago. I'm posting about it again because I wanted to see if any new stores had opened and to make sure the info was still up to date.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

for the school one, just go to Carre Four or Walmart, you can get a good quality day pack for 100-160.

Not sure about the other one.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

Well there's four places. There's the Backpack Hut, that's on third. There's Backpacks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Stuff-There, that's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... matter of fact, they're all in the same complex - it's the backpack complex on third.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Wenhuaxiang (foreigner street) had a backpacker's store that seems to cater to backpackers. Just remember - you're also paying for their store's rent, so prices are necessarily notched up from online stores such as taobao. Taobao is generally for knock-off merchandise, small.com is generally for genuine or close to genuine products - last time I checked, tmall.com requires a physical store presence (although probably easy to fake). jd.com is allegedly for genuine products - they buy and warehouse products themselves, so they'll be pricier than taobao or tmall.

As an example - I bought a cheap light golf bag from taobao - the golf bag looks genuine (has a famous name brand), but the base of the bag is material, NOT hard plastic so the club handles don't poke the bag's base, so it's obviously a crappy but functional fake, but won't survive heavy use.

Similar for fake stuff on taobao etc - many products look the same, but won't survive heavy use, unlike their alleged branded products.

natattack (11 posts) • 0

@Jopansy, yeah, if you could share more specific address details for the backpack complex, that would be much appreciated. I'm not based in Kunming, but will be passing through in the next few days, my trekking pack seriously needs to be replaced, it's in shreds!

Cheers!

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Jopansy, where is 'third' and where is the place you're talking about?
I don't buy outdoors gear I haven't seen, touched and examined.

Related forum threads

Login to post