GoKunming Forums

Credit card purchase + cash back in China?

kc430kc430 (81 posts) • 0

You can do this in USA, say at Walmart and certain stores. Purchase some items and tell the cashier you want $20 in cash. They charge your card for both the purchase and the cash. A nice way to get cash without using an ATM,and there are no fees involved.

Can you do this in China?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I would be careful getting cash on the credit card. It used to be that credit cards (as opposed to debit cards) will start charging interest on the day cash is drawn, and not from the end of the month.

I have been away for a while, but cash back was only available for debit cards, but maybe it changed.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Not available, as far as I know. You can get a cash advance from certain ATMs and larger banks that can handle foreign cards, but that is charged in a completely different way from purchases, with interest usually beginning immediately.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Dunno about China, but NOT in Kunming. Adding cash to a charge card will get you strange looks (like you're trying to rob someone's credit card).

I joked about getting extra cash back from her card at the checkout counter - she looked at me strangely also and THAT's the priceless look you'll get from most cashiers and store supervisors, as they're untrained in how to do this.

The term to use for this situation is "cash over", not cash back which refers to the rewards program for credit cards. In the USA there are about 70 chains and stores that allow cash over with a Discover card, see this link:

www.discover.com/[...]

I will get a Chinese friend to accompany me to Carrefour and Walmart and see what happens when I ask for cash over.

From that USA Discover Card page:

Cash Over transactions are limited to $120 every 24 hours with no monthly limit. Most stores have a cash over limit. Please check with your local store.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

there isnt cashover in this market. not a matter of staff not trained as shops not doing it. remember that cashover is relationship between card compnay and retailers. thsi is new cc market here . there isnt any real competition so card companies do not have to be creative.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

you also can't do it with your normal Chinese bank card. Seems it's just not done here, while in Belgium it was the commonest practice ever, saving you a trip to the ATM.

Related forum threads

Login to post