GoKunming Forums

Jobs in China

MissHill (3 posts) • 0

Usually when you study with els,tefl,tesol, they tell you they guarantee you a job. Now I have paid a lot of money for TEFL, and still no work.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@MissHill
They will say anything to get your money. I'm sure you can find a job teaching but you can be sure that they won't issue you a visa. Many 'training school' are looking for English teachers.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@Miss Hill
Don't despair. A recognised TEFL/TESOL/CELTA does guarantee you work in many countries. Unfortunately, China is one of the few countries that primarily require a degree (in any field), for the work visa. An EFL certificate in addition to a degree would help you secure work with better employers. For teaching in China, there is also a predisposition against non-native speakers of English. Racism is also rife.
But there are many other great places in Asia, and the rest of the world, where you would be welcomed.

Alexez (349 posts) • 0

" Chinese immigration law. You must have a degree and 2 years work experience to get a work visa. " ....So lets say if I want to work as car mechanic. Do I need a degree and required experience? How to prove that experience btw? Any official ( gov.) website ? Not the one where it says about English teaching jobs, but generall jobs? Thanks.

China has, relatively few actual written laws, but myriads of local interpretations. However it is worth remembering that the laws of the PRC have only been developed/passed since 1949, and that is not very long compared with other countries who have had hundreds of years of legislation accruing.

Central government passes laws, but leaves the implementation of the law to local government bodies. This is but one reason why it is hard to get consistent or definitive answers about any particular law. Yunnan also appears to have a more stringent interpretation of immigration laws than any other province I have lived in.
To a greater or lesser degree, this is true in any country. Which is why the appeals courts, and supreme courts exist, and precedent is so important.

In reality, I doubt an immigrant could get a visa to work as a car mechanic in China. This is work that can be undertaken by a local.

However, you have an interesting point about some artisan trades. The examples that leap out are those of a chef or western restaurant manager (I have seen this job advertised). Although a visiting chef to a 5* hotel could perhaps be accommodated under a business (F) visa.

Related forum threads

Login to post