GoKunming Forums

Yunnan Thinking and Ways

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

I had an identical experience as AlexKMG, where an e-scooter driver went through a red light, crash into mine, and fled immediately. You'd start to get dehydrated if you had to lie on the ground and wait for them to come back and compensate you.

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

Traffic is different here from your own country, wow! Different ideas, different culture, different traffic. Just because something different don't mean it's bad.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Sure; excessive numbers of needlessly dead, injured and maimed human beings can all be excused by ........culture. My guess is you couldn't even begin to define culture. It's just a word you toss into the air like confetti and use to cloak bad habits and ignorance. Yunnan is rich in culture, IF you are Chinese, why would you wish to dilute and taint it by mixing in atrocious driving habits?

nnoble, China has lower deaths in traffic than US. There is logic and system here, you just must learn it.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Hi marcuschen, thats interesting, can you show some figures to back that up please, I checked en.wikipedia.org/[...]

According to Wikipedia for each 100,000 persons China has almost double the number of death than the US and almost 4 times more than Australia.

So for an American in China (according to Wiki) they would have twice the risk of dying in a traffic accident in China compared to the US.

What is also interesting,, (if we can trust Wikipedia?) is that China has only about 1/8th the number of cars that the US has per person

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_vehicles_per_capita

So per 100,000 people double the rate die in China compared to the US, but there are way less cars in China per person.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

Yuantongsi you are correct. Our friend is just pulling things out of... Well, no logic to it at all. To claim the is a logic and system to the road slaughter in China only makes sense if you think driving is a method of population control.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Culture changes. Driving culture in China does not presently satisfy many drivers. To mention this should not be taken as some attack on Chinese culture in general - I don't think that's what the great majority of drivers, who are of course Chinese, mean to do when they recognize that traffic conditions could and can be better. Things change, it takes time, unfortunately, and there's no point in defending the present in the name of face.
In the meantime, as always, one must live with imperfection. Best not to contribute to it.

Geezer, yes there is logic and system. Chinese cities streets very, very crowded as you know. The logic is "keep things moving". That is why you notice even policemen tell the cars and bikes to start going, even before their light is red, even when cars from the other way are still in the intersection. Keep things moving is the logic and system. It is like this in many crowded countries, like India too. Maybe you are from the US with much less people, where there is no need for this thinking.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

From Chinglish to, almost, flawless English in less than 2 weeks. Wish I could achieve those results in that time scale. I'm impressed.

What a fake.

Related forum threads

Login to post