GoKunming Forums

Yunnan Thinking and Ways

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

Marcuschen, You state, "We have done posts on Chinese thinking and ways like "You think too much." You did not do this I did. That post got a lot of thoughtful responses. My posts are not about criticism but about understanding different ways as different persons see them. It is certainly not about what is right or wrong.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Why do so many, mostly non-Chinese, people in Kunming think they need a special place to 'let off steam'? What is it about their boilers that they build up so much pressure?

I'm not being sarcastic - I'd really like to know. The term 'culture schock' comes to mind - getting past it can be difficult, and some people can't seem to do so - but how prevalent is all this? Yeah, everybody gets annoyed at something or other once in a while, but...

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

stop being so grudamn superior. we all need to let off steam and we all need a place to do it. that is why men retire to the den or garden shed or bar to chill and bitch a lttle. its human, but i dont surprised and alien doesnet get it. and while going through this culture shock that some people have been able to elevate themselves from, we need that place. chinese people also need to let off steam. they have websites for it, see other thread currently, and kundu. there are bars there that dont let laowai in. no problem as far as i am concerned.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@Alien. Cycling through Kunming traffic and suffering/witnessing all the irresponsible, selfish and dangerous, or inexperienced and reckless ebike and car drivers can build up some serious pressure/steam. Add to that buses that blow coal black 500api smoke in your face.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

OK then, vent, people need to vent, it's better than irresponsible explosions (note dangerous explosion at Salvador's one night 2-3 years ago), but please don't make mountains out of molehills or go about insulting people. Why not just vent in the garden shed, or with friends in private somewhere? Gokunming is a public forum, better for using brains than exploding about not-yet-familiar annoyances. Me, I shout at my computer, don't think I'll ever adapt fully to the *&%# little bastard.
As for culture shock, it's pretty common, but a lousy experience while it lasts. My sympathies, I've had to go through it more than once, but it's possible to get through it.

And yeah, the traffic is a mess, I agree - and every single driver on the road has to deal with it. Most succeed. No, you don't have to like it.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Talking about traffic, I have come to the sad conclusion that illegal arrogant dangerous selfish driving gets you to your destination faster with no negative consequences.

I know that traffic cameras will bring fines in some cases, but it doesn't seem to alter peoples behavior.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

@Yuantongsi. Alien. No negative consequences for the selfish one agreed. Some ebike driver just greedily cut me off with 6 seconds left on my green. I braked hard and didn't touch him or his ebike with two to four inches to spare. In the process I flipped over, then dragged myself limply from the middle of the road to the curb. The other cars where nice enough not to drive around me when they got the green. As for the ebike driver, he just watched nearby to see if I would be able to pursue him. Then took off to finish his day. My day of cycling was lost and spent the next week recovering at home. No consequences for him; some consequences for me. But since this is China and he was in front of me, even after running his red, guess I'm in the wrong, since it's their culture to run reds. I didn't "succeed" in this case.

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

I think that with the case of the stronger is "wronger" then you could have asked for some money.

Car Scooter pushbike pedestrian in that order. Usually the stronger pays the weaker, no matter who caused the accident.

Try it next time, you have to hang around, best if you keep lying on the ground.

Related forum threads

Login to post