GoKunming Forums

Some nice foreigners at Salvador's, but problem

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

I live close to Salvador's. I walk home, I sometimes like to stop and talk to foreigners. Most foreigners there very nice, fun to talk to, even offer me a drink. But some really mean. They tell me I should not try to practice English to strangers. Why are they so mean?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@maruschen
Not all foreigners are the same as you have pointed out. You asked "Why are they so mean?" When I go into a place to enjoy a cup of coffee or read a book or eat, I really don't what to be 'disturb' by someone who wants to practice their English. If you were a 'pretty young' lady, men would be nicer to you. Why? Because that's is how it is. All foreigners like talking to a pretty lady. Another things is 'personality'. What kind of personality do you have? Maybe your personality clashes with theirs. If you go to Salvador's, it should first be to enjoy the food and drinks not to practice YOUR English. If by chance someone is willing to let you practice your English, maybe it should be you who's buying the drinks, no? If I was to go to New York's Chinatown and did that, they would look at me like I'm crazy. People like their privacy and space. Especially foreigners. We're not afraid to tell you how we feel even if it offends you. Anyway, good luck.

marcuschen (178 posts) • 0

Liumingke, I understand. I just think people should be friendly anywhere, even outside bar, but I don't mean they must stop to practice to me, just be nice at least.

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

ja, mixing cultures is often not a western habit, they like to dominate as history has proven trough colonialism, imperialism...

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Marcuschen you are right of course. The problem is that these people just don't realise you are the centre of the universe. What they need is a little more empathy.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

a lot of teachers go to salvadors after a days work. it is inconsiderate to expect them to give a free lesson in their evening off. they probably think you are rude and reply the same way. seriosly we get fed up of people looking for some free advantage. maybe if you said 'hey i buy you a beer and can practice. then maybe they not mind

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

lolo, buy a beer then it is ok... typical business mind....

dont you think chinese people want discover other cultures. foreigner teachers are super paid, the travel abroad, what most chinese cannot afford...

equality not tomorrow

Serrure (132 posts) • 0

I'm here to study Chinese, so talking with someone in English is a bit pointless for me. Also I'm fed up with people approaching me in public places (subway, parks, shops, bars 等等) and trying to practice English with me. First of all I'm not a teacher and even if I was I wouldn't teach for free. Also it is annoying when I'm trying to relax or enjoy time with my friends and a complete stranger approaches and starts to talk nonsense in broken English.

ethniceast (33 posts) • 0

make an effort to make friends rather than just trying to suggest to patrons in cafe to practice english with you. imagine a beggar walking into salvador and beg for donations from you, will the management allow it? even if you try to approach someone just outside the cafe, it can be inappropriate; you can deemed to be mean too.

Related forum threads

Login to post