GoKunming Forums

Employment Process

BlueBird (55 posts) • 0

Guys a bit help on a employment process please, our company would like to hire a foreigner, does any one knows anything about it ?

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

We know a lot about it and have done it for years. Are you a Chinese company or foreign company? Type of work in general? Age of foreigner? The first time is the most difficult. Very generally and extremely simply. Work permit application "number 1". Z visa from foreign ministry with travel outside China to selected specified Chinese consulate/embassy within a selected specified time to obtain by applicant. Health certificate in Kunming. Work permit application documents "number 2". Residence permit. It is normally an annual process. If the foreigner is over 55 or 60 you need a different permit/certificate. We suggest you do not use a not experienced company employee to do this. It is detailed and varies depending a little on the applicant, agency and Chinese law. Have a budget/funding to do this. PM me if you wish more help.

BlueBird (55 posts) • 0

yes Long-Dragon, i have left you a message with my number, please give a call to explain me in this process and give me answers on some of my questions, thank you, thank you so much

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

Don't expect to get this advice for free. Sounds like Long-Dragon works for a visa agency/consultants.

nnoble (889 posts) • 0

Don't wast your time on here. Strongly suggest you talk to PSB directly. It's easy, totally free, first-hand advice. Friendly too. A Chinese friend of mine did exactly this just last week and they gave him all the advice he needed. Place is on Tuodong Lu near the stadium.

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

To Hotwater: I clearly offered and offer a lot of FREE advice. I have a licensed legal office in Kunming and have done these things for myself and others for many years. Yes, if I have to put staff to work on a project like this for another company I charge something. To nnoble: good advice as far as it goes. There are three departments or agencies involved, PSB at the end, Human Resources in the beginning and later with the health services check and foreign affairs department the middle too. Then there is the approved translation company, multiple trips to many of these government locations. Chinese staff can do this or they can screw it up and create delays that cost the foreign worker both time, money and frustration coupled with anxiety.

Lastly, why do so many GOKM'ers seem to always expect free advice and complain about someone who wants to be paid sometimes for knowledge and expertise.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

Some people are DIY (Do It Yourself), others prefer handholding. As noble notes - you can try to go it yourself - it's also hit or miss at PSB, finding someone who'll actually spend the time and give you a list of processes, procedures, fees, etc.

This is great until you hit a roadblock. With the PSB - if you do something that's not quite right - they'll then scrutinize EVERY detail - causing you endless troubles.

So there's clearly the opportunity to DIY - or just pay someone to do it for you professionally. Depends on your budget and any time-compression/sensitive issues.

Also - helps if your employee has a minimum of a BA/BS with some kind of "special skill" that justifies their sustainable presence in China.

Other issues - social insurance, health insurance, housing, etc ad infinitum - sometimes it's just easier to pay someone to do the gopher work.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Long-Dragon
I agree with many of your points. I think most foreigners are 'cautious' since they have seen or have been victims of bad information or outright scams. If I need help in these types of situation, I would definitely go to a professional. Thanks for your advice.

Hotwater (205 posts) • 0

@ Long-Dragon,
My apologies to you. I use a number of English language forums in China & you get a lot of visa/WP questions asked with responses from agents working for companies offering advice & then charging. I jumped to the wrong conclusion here.

Related forum threads

Login to post