GoKunming Forums

Laowai typology

darkone264 (108 posts) • 0

to the beijing one I guess I am an English teacher but I have money to live comfortably maybe its because I don't drink it all away like some. and I take teaching seriously and know what I want in life

in kunming using the ones mentioned here #3 is closest

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Truth hurts - How about all the racists stereotypes and remarks we say on this forum about Chinese people?

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

i think this whole thing shouldn't be taken too seriously. it obviously was published to offend and be excluding many people who are not all represented that negatively.

it's about stereotypes and as all stereotypes, they are the inaccurate surface of a bigger but different truth.

as HFCAMPO said. the stuff that is thrown at chinese at this forum is equally inaccurate. since we are all individuals with different hobbies, dreams and lifestyle.

i don't give a crap what category i am. as a previous poster said. i have my goals and dreams. what do i care, if i am judged by a guy who is getting paid to offend. and who is probably the worst of all stereotypes.

if you think you are represented as one of those. change your lifestyle or do something more purposefully, or ignore those negative people.

you are happy?...awesome! who cares what type you are.

what idiot puts people in categories, in the first place?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I don't think it was published to offend. It is just tongue in cheek. I think we all recognise certain characteristics among fellow expats. Lots of people make generalisations about other people. Others even go so far as to make generalisations about specific individuals on here.

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

i would agree on tongue in cheek, but it isn't funny enough. it's just sad-cynical, no punchline, no comparisons to other groups, not even a creative writing style. just a roundup of offensive stuff.

the only really ironic (funny) part is, that the stereotypes described, are already an overstereotyped version of the stereotype and vastly outdated.

...from the ones i was exposed to, when i was a Beijing; veteran- functioning alcoholic- student-professional-teacher- gulou hipster.

i guess it is to stir up some feedback to an otherwise unknown blog or website.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Campo: Exactly.
@tuna: Not possible to think without categories, including those of people (e.g., Americans; Christians; the working class; women; men over 50; etc.) All are, ultimately, false and imperfect, as is all thought. The trick is always to know this, and to employ categories and ideas that are useful for approximations concerning the issues being considered. Thought cannot be perfect, except, perhaps, when it deals only with totally abstract subjects (e.g., pure mathematics). Understanding this brings humility; refusing to understand it brings on fanaticism. This includes scientific thought, which, however, brings on paradigm changes out of its own relative success/failure, but it requires imagination and goals/ideals, which of themselves are something other than 'science'.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

1. The Gulou Hipsters
2. The Wudaokou Students
3. The English Teachers
4. The iBankers
5. The Yuppies
6. The Worn Out Junkies
7. The Righteous Fighters
8. The Glamorous Asians
9. The Sinofied Foreigners
10. The Functional Alcoholics
11. The Shameless Freeloaders
12. The Professional Laowai Person
13. The Grizzled Veterans

forlorn (68 posts) • 0

Some of us are actual professionals who moved to China for life (or long-term) because of better job opportunities, and a lower cost of living.

Related forum threads

Login to post