GoKunming Forums

phone storage problems

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

my phone for some time had its storage memory going up and down, from 200mb to 30mb, with no reason as i didnt install apps or take many picture.

i went to huawei ask them why, they did nit have any answer.

i also asked them if it could b a virus, they said no.

anyway, i have installed avg free antivirus and nothing was detected.

yet, now i am at 0 while a month ago it had around 200 mb. so can barely use it.

any clues what may make this happen?

i tend to think this technologies r full of lies, not respecting privacy, acting if the phone is theirs, money orientated.

any clues for this.up and down of storage? and what to do?

thc

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

I also had this issue on Android. I believe it's apps periodically running in the background. What you can do is root your phone, install Titanium backup pro and delete unwanted stock apps and get a Task killer to kill apps running in the bg.

laotou (1714 posts) • 0

If you use your mobile to watch streaming videos (example youku, youtube) or news portals with video feeds (e.g. yahoo.com), the web browser will download video to a temp or scratch directory to help buffer the video, so viewing is smoother as opposed to "bumpy".

If you cancel (or not) the website by changing apps or just terminating the app (aka browser) - the browser will leave behind these buffering files.

To free up space - go to your browser's settings and flush the browser's caches, history, etc and this should free up space.

IF your browser uses apps such as Adobe Flash - you MAY have elected to auto-update the drivers - so Flash etc will leave behind installers - in their respective temp or scratch directories, in addition to buffering files.

Interrupted downloads also leave behind partially downloaded installation files - those are more painful to get rid of.

The fastest way to clean up your mobile - wipe it and re-install your core apps and files (music, videos, etc).

If you use Chinese software, such as QQ, Taobao, etc - these can leave behind prolific volumes of buffering files (pics, flash vids, banners, ad banners, etc) - which can gobble up storage space in large chunks. USUALLY a power reset (power off, then power on) will clear up most temp cache files from MOST applications.

debaser (647 posts) • 0

@Gompo - do you use Wechat/Weixin? I had a similar issue and found that it was due to old files being stored in multiple locations. As Laotou said, QQ, Taobao or Weibo (or a lot of other Chinese software) might also use up a lot of space. I had to go through all the files and delete the old stuff.

Gompo (152 posts) • 0

thc for tips

i do use weixin. but the files they store should be summed up in the app data, no? so it could not explain the huge up and down in storage.

there is a huge tencent storage, but huawei could not tell me what it is. i believe tencent is qq, right?

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Oops i thought you meant memory consumption instead of storage. Like the others said, it's media that is being stored on your phone. Tencent is both QQ and WeChat. They are storing all the pics that you watch from other people's profiles, as well as audio and chat messages. If i remember correctly, there should be a folder called MicroMsg inside the Tencent folder. Navigate through it and look for folders containing images and audio and delete the files manually.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

In WeChat, click on "Me">Settings>General>Manage Storage. It will then show you how much storage it's using, and then you have options to delete whole threads, listed in order by size.

They may well be storing things in other files under QQ or Tencent, but I'm not sure.

Also, if you're using Android, go to Settings>Storage. It takes a while to calculate, but it will show you exactly which types of data make up the bulk of your storage. You can then click on different categories to delete stuff.

Related forum threads

Login to post