GoKunming Forums

Book Club Kunming

Kongming (83 posts) • 0

The book clyb meeting is postponed 1 week, until 16 May.

Otherwise, same time, same place. We will discus V by Thomas Pynchon.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

WE will meet again on Wednesday, May 30 at 6:30 at The Park to continue discussing Pynchon's novel.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

We will meet again on Wednesday, June 13 at 6:30 at The Park to discuss Nicola Di Cosmo's work, ANCIENT CHINA And ITS ENEMIES: The Rise of Nomadic Power in East Asian History.

Kongming (83 posts) • 0

You can get a epub copy from the Kunming Book Club website group or contact me. I'm sure it's available at your favorite torrent site, too.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

Note that some of the versions of this and other books come from what may be, mm, somewhat irregular online sources. I find it very much worthwhile to go through them as I read (ore even before I read) and, if possible, straighten out the text by justifying it, putting strung-out text together or separating condensed passages (especially those that cram footnotes together with the main text) - makes it all more readable.
Incidentally, I am finding this present book is a damn good one for separating mythology, legend, nationalism and xenophobia from what we can discover as something approaching historical, geographical. cultural, economic, political etc. reality.
Note that books are chosen by those who actually show up, so those who don't show up will be stuck by the choices made by those who do. Same with times and meeting places.

alienew (422 posts) • 0

WE will next meet on Tuesday, June 26, at 6:30 PM, at The Park, to discuss Donna Tartt's novel, THE SECRET HISTORY.

Kongming (83 posts) • 0

Ok, the book club will next meet 8 August, 1830,at THE PARK. We will talk about Plato's Phaedo, all about life after death. Phaedo can be found at Project Gutenberg.

Related forum threads

Login to post