GoKunming Forums

Chinese tourist behaving badly

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

I think that the Cinese government needs to start at home. Start fining people that spit and urinate and shit in public. Post signs all over the place. Maybe then they will get the point. It won't be easy but as Chinese nationals gain more more and power, they need to respect other countries etiquette.

news.yahoo.com/[...]

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"start at home"

Definitely. They've been given points on how and how not to behave abroad, but that's hard to follow when they aren't even reprimended or been taught at home.

Usual response when they are confronted is the total opposite of acknowledgement of their bad behaviour, which doesn't help any one in any way.

The big problem here is that even the 'police' or 'cheng guan' look the other way or they themselves do the violating. It wll take a lot of time.

Shoei (78 posts) • 0

my take into this is how can you even think it can be when the matter is culture and thinking.

im sure you met people on porsche, bmw wearing luxury stuff only only to act and behave like farmers or uneducated that cant even talk sense because like their women their sense is themselves. when quick rich came in millions or money they cant imagine to have in their lifetime due to their land being develop

what do you expect to be around people when the utmost importance is money and count of self worth is how much money you have?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Many young Chinese middle class also find this behaviour abhorrent. I am sure that many of the small children we see relieving themselves in the streets will not allow their children to do the same. There is a rapid gentrification of the urbanites in China.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

At least they are giving a true account of their country when abroad, to behave with impeccable politeness would be kind of dishonest, from the rudest people on earth.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

...from the rudest people on earth.

ha ha ha. mmmmmmneddy alert...

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

haha, sorry, let me rephrase to avoid needy's wrath. In chinese culture, it is polite to ignore the actions of others that if you didn't ignore them, would cause them to lose face, such as cutting in line, spitting, pissing, defecating etc.

Little anecdote: I was once with a group of foreigners (mostly americans) on San Qing mountain during the October national holiday. The path down was closed so everyone was queuing for the cable car. Some sneaky chinese tried to walk past the line. Some of the crazier foreigners held hands to form a barrier, but the jumpers still tried to get past. The foreigners were equipped with a loudspeaker and waterpistol. After shooting a few people trying to get through with it, the line jumpers stopped, at which point the foreginers started singing and dancing 'Call me maybe' and other songs to entertain the waiting crowd in the 2 hour long line, who cheered and clapped. Every situation is what you make of it.

@Haali
Sometimes you can turn things around but most time they will gang up on you and try to lynch(figure of speech) you. Even if you are in the right it's best to let other Chinese correct other Chinese bahavior. Things will change quicker that way.

Related forum threads

Login to post