GoKunming Forums

Nasty Habits

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

@Ifoundthetuna, Hugo is Hugo and I leave it at that. Many things he says and posts I roll my eyes in private but I see no need to confront him about it, just let the man vent.

The problem I have with mmeddy is that in a narcissistic way, he is claiming moral and cultural superiority over everyone else by his feigned and disingenuous defense of Chinese culture. Every time you call him out on something, he invents some "fact" about himself to make himself seem authoritative, for example, claiming to have lived in Asia since 1979 so that he masquerade as an expert on Chinese culture. The facts just don't add up, (I don't have the time nor desire to dig up his old posts to show his contradictions). However, a quick proof in hand, if he believe me to have a propensity for stalking, why would he invite me to meet face to face? That would seem to be the last thing to do about a stalker, don't you think. He gets highly agitated over people proclaiming a craving or preference to Western food and yet starts a thread looking for beer. FYI, beer is not native to China or Chinese culture.

So let's piece together his life story. Born sometime around 1979, grew up in the Philippines, father in some kind of large international corporation that's historical in China, then goes to Africa to run the division there. He at some point return to the US to enlist in the military, earns his Bachelors, then on to grad school where he learned, fluently, several European and Middle Eastern languages, goes to culinary school, becomes a freelance food columnist and end up living in several Chinese cities as a miser, all before 40.

Does that even sound remotely plausible to you?

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

My son was born in Japan. We left when he was 6 months old. Fact - he was born in Japan - question - at what age can a person begin to understand a culture?

I was born in Galapagos Ecuador, yes, same place where Darwin went.

I left Ecuador when I was 6 and moved to the US. At what age did I understand Ecuadorian culture? Answer, not until I visited Ecuador several times and had the understanding of an adult - over 20 - although that was in fact my place of birth.

Although I grew up speaking Spanish at home with my parents until I was 18, I never went to school in a spanish speaking country. I never really learned spanish until I went to college and took a few spanish courses. I will never say I mastered spanish although it is my mother tongue. I understand Italian and Portuguese but I will never say I mastred both those languages.

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

doxxed is a file of all personal info. name, ssn, passport, previous addresses, job history. fairly easy to obtain these if they were/are a student in china.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Just do the math - it does not add up.

Military - active (4/6 yrs) or reserve (8 yrs) or discharged for personality disorder? I retired in 2002 after 20 yrs of service. Stop loss was implemented in 2001 so there is no way he was able to avoid service of some type for 8 years. If he joined at 18 that puts him at 1997/1998.

BA = 4 yrs
Masters = 3-4 years unless he did them online.

If magni takes him up on his dinner offer, I am sure the session will end quickly if Magni ask him 3 simple questions - at that point - he will give his typical vague answers. If magni insists on asking and getting a reply - the dinner will end.

While wearing his crazylaowai hat - he was a chef from Louisiana which accounts for him speaking Cajun French - not Quebec French nor Paris French.

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

I see your point tony, but until someone meets with the man, it will be impossible to know. nd just be more bashing and back and forth. he may overexaggerate a lot, but since he posts so vague it still is not untrue, it may annoy a poster or two here. but as a matter of fact it is stilll in the boundaries of the truth. for example takeculinary school.to go to one of those you don;t have to sign for a few years. Most community colleges offer a two week intensive course. he never claimed he wa a chef. nor don;t i think he ever said, that he was in the military as an active member, he said he is no stranger to the military structure,....or something like that....very vague and on the boundaries of BS.

But that wouldn;t be the only BS flying around here.
I get your point tony. and you are right if you take it for granted it may have a little timing conflict...lol

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

That's an interesting phrase "he is no stranger to the military structure".

That does not imply actually doing any kind of military service at all. He could be an "army brat" and daddy was in the military.

Ifoundthetuna (370 posts) • 0

hey tony.
were you serious about the trip to anning? unfortunately i am working 7days a week and all "bigger trips " have to be made around holidays. i would go right away if i could. i have no problems to meet with people from the forum...

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

I have met both HFCAMPO and Matt Miller. I have given my impression of both men. Matt does not think anyone can read or tell much about someone newly met for only few minutes. But then, I don't think he has much experience interviewing prospective hires. A summary of how each impressed me:

HFCAMPO: He is what he is; a retired Marine, a straight shooter and into nutty conspiracies. I would trust him and would rely on him to have my back in the shit.

Matt Miller: If I needed to hire someone to sell used cars, I might consider hiring Matt.

Matt provided this info for hid 'Miller Guide'

"Matt Miller graduated from the Institute of Culinary Education in New York City in 1995, completing both the savory and pastry programs. He has worked in professional kitchens in New York City, including Dakota and Verbena, as well as in Louisiana, including Mike Anderson's Seafood Restaurant, The Chimes Restaurant and Oyster Bar, and The City Club at River Ranch. He has a decade of experience in professional kitchens, and is an expert on gastronomy and wine.
Matt also holds a Master's Degree in Languages from the University of Louisiana, and is proficient in six languages. He has been living in China for almost three years now. He has taught languages at all levels, including at the university level, for over a decade. He also has two years' experience writing for food and wine websites"

www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-miller-guide

How does that fit with the Matt Miller you know?

Related forum threads

Login to post