Tenwest Mandarin School

Forums

The paradox of Chinese New Year

opper (52 posts) • 0

If everything is closed and people are supposed to spend this period of time with their family members, does anyone have a theory (or the obvious answer) why so many Chinese (and expats, of course) vacation to other places (with or without family members) for this holiday? Shouldn't most businesses in these locales also be closed? Is it not perceived as a major hassle to make travel arrangements?

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Does every single person in your country spend whatever family holiday they have with their family, without exception? Do every single business close on public holidays there too? Do people never travel to other parts of your country without/without friends/family when they have long holidays? Are motorways, airlines and touristic spots never packed with locals during holidays there?

opper (52 posts) • 0

No, but the dates of our holidays are more clearly defined and they don't go on for a week until two weeks past an actual single event. Furthermore, most business close for one to two days (or maybe reduced hours) so when traveling we know that most businesses and services will be open available shortly after a holiday event.

I don't mean this to be a stab at Chinese culture, I just don't really understand leisure travel during this period. Plus, when getting a haircut, ordering a meal, or somehow interacting with local friends, I (obvious white-American) am asked if I'm going home (America?) for CNY just a week or so before the festivities begin.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

You can't expect customs in your country to be the same in another country. Many people don't have much given time to go away on holidays during other periods of the year, just like in White countries, everyone hits the roads to enjoy their leisure vacation during August all at the same time, and it usually ends up with hours or even days of traffic congestions.

And I'm guessing that you aren't being asked if you are going back to your country for New Year because you are White or because you celebrate Chinese New Year, but most likely because this is a longer vacation period during which you could have enough time to visit home.

AlexKMG (2361 posts) • 0

@opper
Young couples in China are beginning to emulate their counterparts in Taiwan and HK. In those countries, CNY is viewed as an international holiday opportunity, despite added cost and hassle. Also, many Chinese students now take a very scenic route home.

laofengzi (376 posts) • 0

plane tickets are a pain to get, bus tickets are easier. 6 friends and i did a bus loop to the closet major city. They bought fridges, tvs, couches, and
things not easily come by at their village. we then rented a flat bed to transport these things, while they followed us on a smaller bus because these places dont have named roads. we went to 2 different villages. i proposed the idea of flying, but getting a bus to the airport at the appropriate time is impossible. these busses wait til they are full then leave. it wasnt worth the risk.

Haali (1149 posts) • 0

Whites are the dominant race in that they have all the money power and corporations in their pocket, hence white privilege. In terms of numbers not sure if they are the majority, but they are the most populous ethnic group.

Haali (1149 posts) • 0

Whites are the dominant race in that they have all the money power and corporations in their pocket, hence white privilege. In terms of numbers not sure if they are the majority, but they are the most populous ethnic group in North America.

Login to post Register to post