GoKunming Forums

Rock Climbing in Kunming

Eloise (2 posts) • 0

I'm living in Kunming for four months and am looking to climb as much as possible both inside and outside. Wondering if anyone has suggestions of where to go or would like to climb as I have little gear and no partner.

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

I'm looking for (indoor) climbing walls if there are any in KM.

I don't have time for outdoor climbing (nor experience). But (indoor) wall climbing is something I would love to do.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Eloise: Ask owner/managers at Salvador's Cafe.

Climbing artificial indoor walls is very good practice for some elements of climbing, and climbing them seems to have become a sport in itself.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Some of info in the links HFCAMPO sent is outdated.

Either one or both of the previous gyms Panda and Red Point are closed for now (I forget the details).

There is a new outdoor (sheltered) artificial wall that costs 50 kuai for as much as you want to climb (best to bring your own equipment, both top rope and lead routes with your own rope available):
www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/33525/tns_climbing_center

There is also a small bouldering wall here:
www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/33552/aa_outdoor_theme_bar

But hours are a bit sporadic, best to call ahead.

For outdoor climbing, can link up with local climbers and get guidebook for Fumin and Xiaomoyu areas (not totally sure who to talk to, maybe somebody else can kick in some advice).

There's also a somewhat separate bolting effort going on that revolves around some new crags being developed mostly by foreign residents of Kunming: www.kunmingrock.com

As usual, it's strongly encouraged to support development efforts by buying the guidebook if you're climbing at Xiaomoyu or Fumin and donating through Paypal if you're climbing on any of the crags listed on Kunming rock. A lot of personal money and time have gone into both efforts.

They don't have normal equipment ready at Nanja? Or is the quality bad? I have seen the wall, but didn't inspect it yet.

DanTheMan (620 posts) • 0

Quality is fine, but no shoes availableand the majority of their harnesses are top rope-only style. For lead climbing you need to bring own rope, draws, etc.

Ok. I have no experience with lead climbing and most equipment. I only did a little bit of indoor climbing.

Do you happen to know any store for decent (climbing) shoes? Doesn't have to be super professional. Just something comfortable and good to use for walls.

Related forum threads

Login to post