GoKunming Forums

Yunnan motorbike to Vietnam

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

Hello

I'm intending to ride my 250cc motorbike with A licence plate to Vietnam, over the Hekou friendship bridge. What papers will I need?

I tried to search it on Baidu but the material I was able to find was very unsatisfactory. Some say you just need your vehicle papers, others say just a Vietnamese visa... But I've heard rumours that it's actually much harder than that.

Can anyone bring clarity?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

This sounds like a customs issue. It is quite normal for many countries. When I worked for RAC in UK we used to arrange all this for members, when it was required.
If this is the case, you will possibly need import and re-export docs from Vn and possibly even export and re-import docs from the PRC customs. This might also be affected by current relationship issues in the region.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Thought. Depending on the situation. It may be possible to drive from PRC to Laos, to Vn with fewer problems.
Has anyone driven from C-L and or L-V?
It might also be worth doing a Baidu search for these auto-treking tour organisers, where people take their cars on long journeys in convoy. The will probably only be able to communicate in Chinese, but they may have an answer as to if/how it can be done.

bluppfisk (398 posts) • 0

Good idea, I'd like to find out more. When I come back, I'll pass by the VN consulate in Kunming and ask, but they weren't exactly helpful the last time I went there for an inquiry.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

I'm afraid you won't be able to enter Vietnam on a Chinese registered bike (or car for that matter) unless maybe you go on an organized tour with arrangements made at least a month in advance. There is no way you will be successful if you attempt to enter independently and forget about trying to enter from Laos to Vietnam as the Lao authorities won't allow your bike to leave their territory. The Vietnamese consulate is no use so go to www.ride-asia.net or gtrider.com for more detailed info.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

@tigertiger nowadays Vietnam generally only allows Lao and Vietnamese registered vehicles to cross their common border. Only pre-arranged tours can enter otherwise for vehicles registered in other countries.

Related forum threads

Login to post