GoKunming Forums

Freezing Foreign Accounts ?

ca.NYC (23 posts) • 0

I thought I'd put this out there since I only found out today, The Chinese Central Bank is requiring all foreign account holders to present a second form of ID to their banks or their accounts will be frozen as of February 5th. This was the case for me and a few friends with varying banks. It may NOT be across the board, I can't state with any certainty, but it may be worth giving your home branch a call and double checking before Thursday. an aside: They accepted my NY State Driver's license.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

This is scary but I don't quite understand it - does the OP mean freezing foreign accounts out of China, or does it apply to accounts in Chinese banks (since you mention calling 'home branch')?

kingofthekerb (131 posts) • 0

confirmed. it's started happening already. got to take your passport or some ID to the branch where u opened your local (chinese) bank account

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

What?? Damn! I can't get there before Feb. 5. Will they unfreeze it again if I go later? Are these people nuts or what? Does this affect Hong Kong banks and debit cards for them? This may seriously affect my drinking allowance.

Geezer (1953 posts) • 0

How is the account frozen? Does the ATM card still work? How are you notified you need to go to the bank?

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

China is really becoming less and less attractive for people to come and does of us still here. I wonder how Thailand or Vietnam is to live in?

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

@caNYC - Please expound on your thread -

1 are you referring to accounts (foreign accounts) in China?

2 How did you find out about this?

3 What bank do you use here in China? BOC, ABC, ICBC? Please be specific.

The country with the least amount of hassles and also allows both chinese and western citizens to get a 1 year visa without any problems is Cambodia. A good place to go with your chinese wife if China gets too difficult.

Xiefei (539 posts) • 0

Just got off the phone with Merchant's Bank. All the operator could say was "I haven't been notified of this."

Related forum threads

Login to post