GoKunming Forums

Kunming - English teaching jobs and air quality

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I have no idea but a friend of mine worked there for 2 years. Have no contact with him now but I am sure you can search the web and find some schools.

www.gokunming.com/[...]

I highly recommend Heijing in Lufeng County, Chuxiong. It is 2 hours by bus from Chuxiong City. It is a tiny ancient town with a middle school who does look for teachers from time to time. You will outgrow this place in less than 1 month but I am sure you can handle it for 1 year. If you can live without western food, coffee, bars and other things most people seek, then you will love living in this 1000 year old ancient town. Full of old people and very young kids.

wmoore (6 posts) • 0

Thank you for guiding me to these types of resources. Knowing details like the weather, in advance, can help save a lot of heartbreak.

mhdkrm (9 posts) • 0

@wmoore I would suggest you to first move to Kunming start to know some people here, then there are always opportunities, about any small towns you might wanna consider living in, you'll get more attention from local people because not many foreigners live there, I would suggest you to live in those kind of towns when you can handle some simple conversations in Chinese.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Right, you're gonna have a lot more interesting and more pleasant time here after you learn some Chinese.

mhdkrm (9 posts) • 0

Body language is a better option than speaking loudly ;-) but really, I used to go to small towns every once in a while and had a quite better time after I could talk a bit in their language, moreover in many small towns a very big majority of people don't even understand simple English greetings.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

If you go really rural e.g. the minority titian villages in yuanyang county, they don't even understand putonghua (mandarin), as my partner and I recently discovered.

wmoore (6 posts) • 0

Thank you everybody for sharing your experiences.

I'm at the very beginner's level of Putonghua, I've learned about 75 characters and have a tutor who is helping with pronunciation. I'll join a conversation group when my confidence rises. I'm not the fastest learner, but my motivation is 100%. I would like to be living and learning in Kunming (or elsewhere in Yunnan) by late August.

I really like the idea of living in Kunming first. Does anyone know of job fairs, or have tips on applying at local universities or colleges?

Related forum threads

Login to post