GoKunming Forums

From Jinhong to Thailand on Lancang/Mekong

NoDurians (12 posts) • 0

I read about boat trips from Jinhong to Chiang Saen in Thailand, but found more questions than answers about it. Can anybody help?

-) Is there a regular boat traffic on that route?

-) How frequent? Every other day? Twice a month?

-) What about water levels in mid march?
-) Where to buy tickets?

-) And if not: Is it allowed to travel on cargo ships to the Chinese/Lao Border or maybe further down to Thailand?

Any help highly welcome! Thx!

NoDurians (12 posts) • 0

Sure! I'll post here, when I get further information.

Nevertheless, if anybody knows anything about going the Lancang/Mekong downstream to Thailand, please feel free to post here.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

There are two ways downriver. The first is the 'tourist boat' from Jinghong to Chiang Saen. This is faster, easier to organize, and more expensive, but less of an adventure. The second is cargo barges from Guanlei, a small town in Mengla county to the southeast of Jinghong that is used for trans-shipment of goods only. Turning up here and negotiating a fare with a cargo captain and stamping out with the local authorities is sometimes possible.

NoDurians (12 posts) • 0

Adventure is good, saving money too! So this would be option number one for me.

My information is, that cargo ships are not allowed to carry passengers to Thailand anymore.

But I have enough time to do some research on site.

voltaire (225 posts) • 0

The situation has changed many times over. Just go there and find out. The Jinghong residents don't know the situation in Guanlei. Trust me, I used to live there and know them all. Most of them have never even been down that way.

Related forum threads

Login to post