GoKunming Forums

Kunming FRAUD

Designer (3 posts) • 0

Thank you all for your advice. I am so glad I found this thread
. I spent a lot of time going back and forth with them. I even recd a signed contract. I reced drawings of the actual buildings, how would they get the drawings, if not legit? They were quite specific wanted an American designer
They wanted the buildings each designed three different ways.
They sent us a suggested price for the work and then we came back and said we needed more to complete the project. They then asked us for a discount, so we provided a slightly altered price. No work product was to be produced before we received our signed contract and retainer so it wasnt a competition. Wuhan Construction Engineering is a huge company Right now I have not commited.

Designer (3 posts) • 0

Thank you all for your advice. I am so glad I found this thread
. I spent a lot of time going back and forth with them. I even recd a signed contract. I reced drawings of the actual buildings, how would they get the drawings, if not legit? They were quite specific wanted an American designer
They wanted the buildings each designed three different ways.
They sent us a suggested price for the work and then we came back and said we needed more to complete the project. They then asked us for a discount, so we provided a slightly altered price. No work product was to be produced before we received our signed contract and retainer so it wasnt a competition. Wuhan Construction Engineering is a huge company Right now I have not commited.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

Points to note.

1/ If genuine, they may say it is not a design competition, but they may still treat it like one. But again, it might just be a clever ruse to get you come over and part with money.
2/ Wuhan Const. Eng. may be a legit company, but it does not mean that these people work for the company. I have seen fake websites and fake brick and mortar premises before. As for business cards, confetti here.

3/ Unless you are doing the work under the umbrella of a big US company, already established in China, who will take the risk (Forester Group, RTKL etc.) you really have little to gain.

A lot of people seem to get seduced by China, but these are maybe opportunities that you would ignore if proffered from other country's companies.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • +3

let me save you time and money, and come up with soemthing mutually as beneficial. you pay for me to come to america, we get drunk together, you buy me a carton of cigarettes, pass me an envelope of cash under the table. then you drop your pants, bend over the table and i will do the rest. you don't even need to waste timne to come to china for a week.

vicar (817 posts) • -8
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

Dazzer you would know. Especially bending over the table. 50 Kuai and a bottle of cheap baijiu.

Dazzer (2813 posts) • -3
Comment hidden by user downvote Click to expand

yes, we have met that way before. but you were much smaller than you had promised, and you squeal too much. as a vicar you

probably only had choirboy before who were sopranos :-)

Long-Dragon (390 posts) • 0

I am going to repeat myself here. These sort of crooks have been doing this all over China and in other countries for a long time. Common sense, due diligence and using, paid consultants with local experience can avoid this.

A lot of time, preparation and costs to come have been expended by each company thinking they had a sale. Yet no money spent to check on the Chinese company.The scammers are very good at doing this even if amateur in their language skills. WE are NOT the local police or law enforcement agencies. In Yunnan these agencies are busy with very serious criminal problems cross border issues. Some of us can often instinctively read between lines, words and expressions to tell you to not do this business or how to negotiate. Your consulates in China hear about these things often. Talk to them. Or if you like PM me.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • +2

As I mentioned before, people seem to get seduced by the idea of China, and let their guard down. I think the potential market is so big, that people dream of riches beyond belief - which they are, beyond belief.

Peter99 (1246 posts) • 0

Tiger is right, and West has not woke up yet, and maybe never will. The image of China is inside a "modern orientalism".

Related forum threads

Login to post