GoKunming Forums

Healthy recipes for Broke-Ass's

Thumplin (10 posts) • 0

Im getting tired of eating the same thing over and over (instant noodles with some veggies thrown in. starting to get old.) I love to find recipes and cook new food but its hard to find recipes online in english that dont assume you have a western style kitchen... or a western style grocery store. So I thought I'd ask for recipes. breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, what ever. If you got any recipes, good grocery lists, or tips on where to buy the best cheapest ingredients for broke-ass student budget type people post it. Even if its not super cheap post it any ways, not every one is broke all the time... at least I hope not.

P.S. I just discovered my apartment has a slow cooker, how I missed it these last two months I have no idea but either way, totally stoked. I've never cooked with one so if any one has got any good recipes please post them.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

potatoes are cheap - baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, fries, hash browns, shephard's pie.

beans are cheap - chili

eggs are relatively cheap - omelets

Stella Lee (12 posts) • 0

If you have a pan, tomato and eggs are easy to cook.
1. Cut tomatoes into small pieces.
2. Whip up eggs.
3. Heat up the pot and put some cooking oil in it.
4. Fry the whipped egg and stir the egg whilst frying to make it into small pieces.
5. Pour tomato pieces in the pot and stir fry it with the egg until the tomato turns up like juice.
6. Add some salt to it according to your taste.
7. A dish called tomato and eggs is done.

You may add some stir fried green chilli pepper pieces to it. Chilli pepper better to be green because the dish will turn out to be green, red and yellow. It appeals to both your taste and your eyeballs.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"Its hard to find recipes online..."

You don't need to follow specific recipes. Since you are on a budget, buy a few large bags of food that can be kept for a long time and mix them up depending on what you want to eat each day. It's cheaper and helps avoid regular trips to supermarkets. For example, basic food that you can have for breakfast and that can be stored for a long time: steel-cut oats (better than quick-cook oats to prevent heart diseases and cholesterol), natural cocoa powder, ground cinnamon, natural organic/manuka honey, almonds (soaked to remove salt), protein powder, flaxseed, dried cranberries etc.. Then get eggs (one whole for every four eggs - give other yolks to dog, hamster or pigeon), a apple and an banana, milk (XueLan makes milk for lactose intolerants, one with added lactase and one with low-lactose) from the store downstairs every other day. Then either prepare in porridge, or pancakes, or granola bars etc... Healthier than an English breakfast.

Same for lunch or dinner: stock up on canned tuna in water, frozen meat (From Metro)/chicken breasts (from local wet market)/skinless-boneless fish fillets (Metro/Walmart), canned vegetables (soaked), dried leaves/spices (available in small packets at Paul's Shop), olive oil (only for coating), millet, brown rice, sweet potatoes, dried beans etc... Then get garlic, onions, ginger, parsley, broccoli, cabbage, bok choi and other fresh greens from the nearest wet market every other day.

Also you can get a cheap (under 100rmb) blender to make fruit smoothies for snacks. Fruits are cheap in Kunming, compared to other cities. Half a melon would probably cost 10rmb, and pomelos are in season.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Look for 'student' recipe books, designed for university students with limited resources. These usually require minimal kitchen equipment.

Do a search for [one pot recipes] loads online and they will suit a pan on the hob or a slow cooker.

Also slow cooker recipes.

There are many recipes for pulses, and if you go to the Walmart, Carrefour or wet market, there are lots of dry pulses etc. for stews. In the wet market you will find one vendor selling these.

Go to www.supercook.com/ and you can type in the ingredients you have and recipes come up.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Broke ass recipe for wok. Rat, loosely based on ratatouille.

Ingredients
Oil.
Soft vegetables (zucchini, egg plant, tomatoes, whatever else)
Onion
Herbs (you can get small packs in Pauls Shop). I use Italian/mixed herbs if I can't get oregano
Salt
tablespoon or 2 of sugar (brings out the flavor of the toms)

Preparation
Peel eggplant
Course chop all veg
Medium or fine chop onion.
You can choose to peel tomato, I don't bother.

Cooking
In a wok, warm oil to a low temp, add chopped onion. Cook on low heat until soft.
Add tomatoes and cook on a medium heat until soft.

Add all other ingredients and cook on a low heat, stir occasionally, till soggy. If it starts to stick, add a little water, maybe 1/2 cup.
Better if you have a lid to cover it.
Done.

Tip, if you cook it one day and leave it for a day it gets more tomatoey .

Anonymous Coward (329 posts) • 0

Dumplings are cheap, but they require a little elbow grease. I usually make them in large quantities and freeze them. You really just need flour, water, salt and some kind of filling. Some of the vegetable fillings are not bad. You can always try Eastern European style onion and potato filling if you get tired of Chinese food. Flour and potato must be two of the cheapest ingredidents you can buy.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Potatoes and white flour: although cheap, eat those in moderation though, unless you want to get diabeetus. Sweet potatoes are also cheap, but have a lower GI.

Related forum threads

Login to post