GoKunming Forums

Ebola Virus WTF!

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

@Liu, some bedtime reading for you...happy birthday!

www.spiked-online.com/[...]
Fear Not, Ebola Won't Wipe Us Out

Misanthropes are using the disease to spread unfounded fears. Whenever a disease breaks out, we are bombarded with doomsday predictions.

We must compare this reportage, all these 'the end is nigh' performances, with the reality. A quick look at hard science shows there is a dramatic mismatch and that commentators have wildly exaggerated the threat ebola poses.

...we must conclude that reports have been hyperbolic and scaremongering.

(maybe they're talking about YOU here. so pay attention)
I think some people long for doomsday predictions because they want their anti-progress attitudes to be validated.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Developing virues serve many purposes for the evil doers. Create panic, make money through creating a cure (drug company stocks are soaring),depopulation, controlling the citizen through new laws to monitor all activities. Just wait until the terrorist, mentally ill, etc start delibartely infecting who they please.

yes, but you're missing the point that fear is your potential greatest enemy. if your mind is perpetually gripped with fear at all the doom and gloom scenarios, then this undermines your psychological well-being.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

@Alien Look it up yourself. I'm not your teacher. Like I said, educate yourself.
@Magnifico
I agree that you can't let fear over take your day to day life. Life goes on. However, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't be aware of what is happening and prepare as best you can. Speaking and discussing current events is both good, healthy and educational.

Yes, but you are not merely discussing current events. You are linking current events with doomsday scenarios which may or may not have validity or may or may not ever occur. There's a big different between a virus that infects 15 people and a virus that wipes out the entire planet.

Anyway, I'm out.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The Great Debate is whether Ebola is airborne or not. The powers that be continue to state that Ebola is NOT airborne - Lets wait and see!

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

If a strain of the Ebola virus mutates to airborne, it's really time to batten down the hatches. The problem will be however that by the time it is declared airborne it may be too late to stop a pandemic. Which is why the government's of the world through WHO should be doing everything they can right now to stop infections. The more people infected, the greater the chance of mutation, the greater the chance of a pandemic. Stop the virus from infecting others and you contain the virus' ability to mutate.

Related forum threads

Login to post