GoKunming Forums

health certificate for dog to travel

psycho (19 posts) • 0

I'm traveling with my small dog in the airplane cabin in a few weeks. I'm looking for the place to get an official health check. I'm told not every vet can do this. Only an office specifically for this purpose. Can anyone help me with the address, street name, or Chinese characters so I can show a taxi driver? Thanks for any info anyone has!

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

I did this before in another city (so i'm afraid I can't help with Kunming location) but it can be a real nightmare. The health check can't be done more than 7 days before you fly, so don't get it done too early or the paper will be useless. The check can be done at any vets but needs to then be double checked by the provincial capital animal control bureau. They need to stamp it. If you're traveling internationally, pups will need to be microchips. China Eastern would not let my dog fly unless she went through the baggage check xray machine. I was unhappy about this but there was no budging them. Hopefully as you're taking your dog in the cabin you won't have to do this! My dog inc. crate weighed 7kg. Sadly the limit for in cabin was 5kg I believe.
To be honest nobody really knew the procedure and I was endlessly passed from one official to another. I guess Chinese don't travel with pets very often? I hope you have a better experience here in Kunming than i did in Hebei but give yourself plenty of time just in case !

Please post anything you find out here for future reference! Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

One location to get this health check for flights is the vet on the road that extends from Wenlin Jie past the cinema.

Go along LongXiang jie until the road curves to the right and you can see the passover, at that point you will see a building on the left side of the road with a alley leading off the road. The vet is on the second floor. They also do Kunming Dog permits.

You may have to go a few times,,as it seems not all the people are working there all the time,,typical government officials.

Related forum threads

Login to post