GoKunming Forums

Opening a cake shop

scarboy (1 post) • 0

I am going to open a cake shop in Kunming. Seeking suggestion from anyone who has relevant experiences.

Best Regards

Silvio DaVinci (282 posts) • 0

Chinese people seem to like quality interesting doughnuts, but they have to be affordable. Not 8-10 yuan each as I saw one place.
If you go for pure and only cake, then pay attention to custom orders and wedding catering. But the difficult part is making a name for yourself, finding a quality location with enough sales and compete with the 1000 bakeries in town that also make birthday cakes.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

The busiest bakeries in town are the jiahua chain. If you try some of their cakes and bread, you may have to rethink what Chinese consider cake.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

The difference for Chinese people between cake and bread is pretty small. Bread is sweet fluffy crap, cake is slightly sweeter and usually just coloured sponge cake. Frankly I can't tell the difference half the time, I need a Chinese person to explain the difference.

But you are most welcome to try and educate their palates!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Bread doesn't have whipped cream on top of it, that's how I tell. Actually I can't tell sometimes cause the cake tastes like bread with whipped cream on it.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I was able to count about 8 bakeries in our community. Just Hot opened a new shop and within 2 months 2 of the other shops closed up. 1 of them had been there for several years.
Just Hot had higher prices, but also better quality and selection. Sometimes they have long lines. It's an indication that the local people are willing to pay a bit more for better quality.

Related forum threads

Login to post