GoKunming Forums

Teaching with Eemom English

minibaker (5 posts) • 0

Hi guys,

So I'm hoping to move to Kunming to teach English for a while and I have a few job offers. One of which is from an agency called Eemom English and I was just wondering if anybody has worked for them before? How were they to work for, pay on time? I haven't heard much about them, even from friends who live in Kunming. Any feedback would be great, thanks.

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

I have, it's a huge school, big classes. Be careful about what they say they pay though. When I worked there they said it was 140/hour, which is ok, but it turns out they actually paid 140 per 60 minutes of actual teaching time. So if the class was 45-50 minutes long, you got less than 140 kuai. Seemed kind of shady and nitpicky to me. Every other job I've had pays per teaching hour.

minibaker (5 posts) • 0

That's what I thought to (a bit shady) . I've worked for a company like this before, ENLI in Tianjin and the main problem I had was not enough work to pay the bills although I thoroughly enjoyed my time teaching. From what I've been told so far, classes will have no more than 20 students and it's all on one campus. At 20 classes per week I worked out that I'd get around 7000 rmb, is this enough?

latataille (118 posts) • 0

minibaker, 7000 RMB for 20 hours of classes per week is not bad in Kunming.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Another thing you really got to watch out for is the amount of prep. time that YOU DON'T GET PAID FOR. If the school has the lesson plans set out for you then that's great.

minibaker (5 posts) • 0

yeah, I've had that problem before where I've had loads of homeworks to grade and not enough time to prep. thanks though, i will remember to look into that. i guess my main concern is if they're going to honour the 20 classes pwk. other offers I've had have a set wage so theres no worries there.

latataille (118 posts) • 0

minibaker, my humble is advice is to take the preset salary.

minibaker (5 posts) • 0

thanks, i have a potential offer from shane english who sound great but they're already full with teachers so its hanging on if someone pulls out. just keeping my options open in case.

nailer (99 posts) • 0

i worked with eemom last year for a couple of months. they always paid on time. i wasnt mad about the job though. they did old bait n switch and i ended up teaching in kindergarten that quite far away. i didnt last long there. but if ur teaching around town for them you'll be fine. i didnt have any problems with them.

minibaker (5 posts) • 0

yeah I would'nt be to happy if they did that though to be honest. from past experience I've found kindergarten a bit of a nightmare. well if all else fails I guess they're a safe enough option. thanks guys you've been a great help, anything else to add feel free.

Related forum threads

Login to post