Pullman Lijiang Resort & Spa

Forums

Buying Mac in PRC or HK

latataille (118 posts) • 0

lawlz, seriously? Are you an adult? You are using a Go Kunming forum to make real life threats? Get a life. There is a limited number of foreigners in Kunming. I am sure you know exactly where to find me. If you do, then come right over. Otherwise, stop using these forums for your personal childish playground threats. Moderators, if you care anything about this forum, surely you can do something about cyber threats?

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

cool alias matt. doxxed means doxxed. check me out mods as i put my b hat on. ridin dirty bro... ridin dirty. obv youre troll if you know what happens if youve been doxxed.

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

I know Hong Kong stores on Taobao will ship macs to China. Legally they're supposed to declare it in shipping. Upon arrival(or beforehand?) import tax must be paid.

I guess some try to ship it undeclared, but if customs find out they will hold it until the tax is paid.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

ouyang youre correct. yet many places declares as household goods. lets all report matt for tax evasion! careful though, matt has called upon the god of cyper police! jessi slaugther and crystal the lion found out what good it did for them. feel free to dox me. i google usernames and emails to register. ill give you a hint i started the lion of 4 che an

ouyang, as you said, yes, many Hong Kong stores ship them perfectly legally, and I have never argued for tax evasion. It is still cheaper to pay the taxes legally (I think) than to take a few day trip to Hong Kong (food, lodging, travel, etc.) to buy one personally.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

The whole point of purchasing from HK IS TO EVADE the taxman as the that is the main reason why Electronics and luxury items in China are more expensive than their counterpart abroad.

If you are going to ship from HK AND pay the taxes, you might as well buy in China.

BTW, living the typical Chinese lifestyle precludes fancy import electronics such as iPhones and iPads.

Tony, some people also feel more comfortable with the product's authenticity too.

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

And so, Macs in Taobao stores are authentic you say? The majority of Apple products (or any name brands) on Taobao are not imitations of varying quality or refurbished being hawked as new? I suppose you believe those are real authentic New Balances and Nikes they are selling on Wenhua Xiang at night. The odd adage of "You get what you paid for" is very true in China. More often than not, you don't even get what you paid for. If the price is lower than the market value, you can almost be certain it is either a fake or something is wrong with it. If it is the real McCoy, at best you can hopeful is it will cost the same as what you can buy at the local store, if not more.

If authenticity is my main concern, I most definitely will stay away from Taobao as for the most part, they are nothing more than glorified, online versions of what you'll find at night markets and street vendors across China.

tigertiger - moderator (5083 posts) • 0

I buy in computers in HK for three reasons. Firstly price, you get a higher spec machine for less money. Secondly licensed software, full English version, that has less potential to cause me grief. Thirdly, you get what you pay for.

Tony, many real, valid Hong Kong stores have a Taobao presence as well to increase their sales. These are real, reputable stores.

Sure, some Taobao stuff is not on the level, but I am talking about real, physical Hong Kong stores that sell online. I just bought a camera in this manner, registered it with the camera company and everything, and have a real receipt.

Login to post Register to post