GoKunming Forums

Student Visa Crackdown

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

mprin great question, i assume only ksmcqueen knows how to reply。also thank you ksmcqueen for coming forward with this info to help fellow expats. it puts us on edge so we all have questions, but you telling your experience helps us get ready. i followed some of your reddit posts and reply i hope youre able to stay in kunming.

jopasny (184 posts) • 0

Shit.... I hope going to Thailand for a week and a half last semester doesn't screw up my plans to renew my visa next week. I did clear it with my school at least...

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

ksmcqueen.... a question. you say mostly weekends. were some trips long weekends? did any of the time cut into class time? i am not trying to doubt you but would like to get the detail reasons to maybe avoid same problems fro others.

sbarella (105 posts) • 0

ksmcqueen,i go to huayang too.in the firat semester,i was attending classes regularly,but then went back home to attend my friends'wedding.i was away for 6weeks.at that time,i signed a paper to "ask for leave"and they told me staying away for so long was officially not permitted,as students are allowed max 28 days in a row.i had to sign another paper that stated i was aware of the risks.after i came back i didn't attend classes that much,but recently they asked me to submit a list of the place ive visited in the past months,and they said they needed it because the psb was checking on them. my advice is:if you are planning to go somewhere,tell tthe school and ask for leave.sorry to hear about yoursituation.hope yiu can sort it out!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I would recommend 100% disclosure if asked for information. If you are not sure then tell them. Not answering correctly may be seen as hiding something.
If you went home for 6 weeks, get documentary evidence of flight tickets, and boarding passes (if you still have them). Even though they already have this information on the computer, something tangible has a stronger psychological effect.

If other people have been travelling, try to list exactly where you have been. If you can do this before you get called in you can do your recollections without being under pressure, and amend them if you misremembered.

b galipeau (48 posts) • 0

Anyone know when these interviews began? I just got my new student residence permit in July and no such interview took place when I went with the university to the PSB, very easy process, just paperwork. Also, you've all been talking about student visas, do you actually mean one year residence permits or are you here on shorter term student visas?

YuantongsiYuantongsi (717 posts) • 0

Sounds to me that the PSB are focusing on the private language schools. Unis are government run and the PSB are unlikely to mess with them

KMdragon (17 posts) • 0

Does anyone know if this sort of thing would apply to work residence permits as well? Thinking logically, I can't see how it could - as a student, if you don't show up to class, well, you just don't show up. But if you're away, you need to ask for leave anyway, you can't really just not show up.

Related forum threads

Login to post