GoKunming Forums

Student Visa Crackdown

Ouyang (243 posts) • 0

ok ok, let's just all go back on topic... visa crack down. How to avoid problems. Everyone knows I hate KCEL :P

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

i dont know what these psb interviews are. ive never had to do one since ive been in kunming. seems like ive been lucky.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

Please give us details about which school you were getting your visa with?.

I too haven't had a PSB interview yet, as when they started doing them I had already been studying for a semester and apparently they only interviewed new students. Friends that had the interview told me that it was very lax, just an informal interview. Now it seems they are upping the ante and giving everyone an interview.

This news really worries me, I have my life here, and if my visa gets denied I don't know what I would do...

So, would the visa getting denied problem only be a city wide problem? Would it be possible to study in Dali for example. Or is it a provincial thing, meaning we would have to leave Yunnan? Surely if you have had your visa denied in one province, they are likely to deny it in another province?

latataille (118 posts) • 0

I go to the same school as OP, but I do not wish to name it unless he/she does. It is a good school. It is not a matter of the school "stepping up to bat" for a student. The PSB can do what it wants, regardless of anything else. Often, their decision are based on orders from Beijing, or on the local political climate.

The PSB interview is now a requisite for a student visa, especially when changing from a work visa. In my interview, the officer yelled at me and threatened me, slamming his hands on the desk. I remained calm and humble. At the end, he laughed and shook my hand. Just another China thing.

latataille (118 posts) • 0

P.S. In China, there is always a way to get what you want. It may require guanxi, or talking, or promising, or doing any number of things: but there is always a way around problems. This is one of the many things that I love about China: the government tends to be pragmatic, rather than idealistic.

lawlz0mg (201 posts) • 0

tbh thats why i love kcel is because they take care of their students in that aspect. if i had to shutter in fear of renewing my visa id leave china asap.

ksmcqueen (96 posts) • 0

My school is huayang, I didn't clear my travel plans with the school because I had no idea I had to. It was all very short trips, mostly weekends.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

So the weekend trips were also a problem? I can ( kind of ) understand them not liking mid week trips, but weekends surely shouldn't be a problem.
So anyone have an answer to my question? Would you be able to stay in Yunnan, enrol at a school that's not in Kunming? Or do you need to leave the province?

Tonyaod (824 posts) • 0

"In my interview, the officer yelled at me and threatened me, slamming his hands on the desk. I remained calm and humble. At the end, he laughed and shook my hand."

This doesn't even make sense. Why would the officer yell at you and threaten you if you haven't done anything illegal? And why would he shake your hand at the end? The PSB isn't known for backing down from an accusation. If you are going to accuse you of something, you can be sure that they have already made up their mind that you are guilty and most likely already have fabricated the evidence against you. If they are not going to charge you with anything, there is no point in yelling and threatening. Again, it doesn't match any type of experience I or my friends have had with the PSB in the 10 years I have been in China.

Sorry, don't buy it, don't believe it. But then looking at the author, I shouldn't have expected any less.

Related forum threads

Login to post