GoKunming Forums

Decent bars

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Apart from the obvious places (Moondog, O'Reilly's, Sals), where do you recommend for a drink or two?

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

If you like imported products you could try Play on Wenlin Jie, or Yetta at the South Asian mall. They are both Chinese places so don't expect service in English (and don't expect cheap). Yetta also has a restaurant on the 3rd floor.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

@Halli, it might help if we knew what kinds of bar you are looking for. Do you mean predominantly expat? Loud or quiet? Dance music or background? Cheap beer?

There are several bars in the listings. Sadly last year the reviews section was removed due to some places self promoting, and the flame wars that this created.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

Thanks AlPage48, I'll check them out.

I don't really like very loud music as it makes conversation difficult. I like to have quality spirits and cocktails, and I quite like sitting at the bar. But really, the most important thing is the atmosphere. Moondog has a nice friendly/relaxed atmosphere, does anywhere else?

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Try Alei's - an atmosphere different from any other place I know in Kunming - you may or may not like it, I'm not promoting it, just saying it is unique here.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Try Vervo for dance atmosphere when they have an event on. The good thing about this place is the top is a sound proofed dancing room, while downstairs is a quieter little bar on one side and sit down cafe atmosphere on the other. Bit of everything, I like!

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Alei is definitely a cocktail lounge with nice bar seating, but expect sticker shock coming from Moondog, though they do have happy hours.

I've been meaning to check out CaoCao terrace; I heard it's nice.

Muyu is quiet and chill, but like a 4 seat bar inside, so outdoor bar seating is available.

No3 Cafe has a great terrace in the middle of bustling Wenlin jie (like two min from Sals), but I think they only have beer and wine.

O'Reillys Beichen is nice also. Couple of tables outside to people watch too.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I also liked the roof bar at the Hump Hostel. They also do a simple bar food menu.
There is a large indoor area that had a pool table (if I remember correctly), as well as a large outdoor roof area (some covered area) and you can sit by the wall and people watch Jinbi Square below. If you sit back from the wall, the noise of the city is largely deflected over your heads.

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

I've been to Hump's terrace, it was nice, apart from the food poisoning I got from the tuna salad and the inappropriately loud music!

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

@tigertiger - reviews aren't removed, they are just hidden in the listings section at the top. Click Listings - find a bar, click the "Reviews" tab...

Related forum threads

Login to post