GoKunming Forums

BitTorrent download speed and VPNs

rebobbinator (23 posts) • 0

I count on bit torrent to download TV shows and movies in Kunming. Streaming is too slow and low quality. With my VPN turned off, speedtest.net says my max download speed is 20 MB/s. But when I start downloading a torrent with 1000+ seeders, I am getting download speeds of less than 10 kB/s. What gives? Is China Telecom throttling bit torrent traffic?

Has anyone struggled with bit torrent speed in Kunming and discovered a way to improve it? Anyone using Usenet as an alternative to bit torrent?

Lastly, is anyone using VPNinja having difficulty connecting to servers? I haven't been able to connect to any servers for about a week. I am considering switching to Astrill. Any recommendations on VPN

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • 0

I find the speed varies with time of day. Also, sometimes it's faster with VPN and sometimes not. There are other factors that can affect the speed - for example, if the person seeding has limited their upload rate. I get higher speeds early in the morning.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Am using Astrill, they allow bit torrent. Speeds aren't that fast on Astrill, can get about 300k most of the time, but I suspect that is more to do with local internet speed. When I was using Astrill in HK a little while ago I was achieving 1-2Mbs and around 1Mbs on torrents. Pretty good.

Just for comparison, I donwloaded the whole 4th series of GOT a month or so ago (10GB) in about 3 days... computer wasn't on all the time though.

The other good thing about Astrill is they now have a "Stealth VPN" which is like a VPN on top of the standard OpenWeb. Essentially giving 2 layers of protection which was very useful around the start of June. And the stealth VPN you can also use torrents on most servers. This whole necessity for VPN layers reminds me of that movie... "Guy one: Don't worry, I have a trace buster... guy 2: He thinks he is safe with a trace buster, I have trace buster! Guy 1: Now I have a trace busters buster buster..."

But TBH Astrill's speeds are all over the place, their service isn't ultra reliable when it comes to speeds. Often it will be slow for no apparent reason, but 95% of the time it is pretty fast.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Agree.
Time of day makes a difference, as does the server you hook your vpn onto. If download is superslow, try changing to a different country server. A high number of seeders does not always mean fast dl. A low number of seeders does not always mean slow dl either.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

"when I start downloading a torrent with 1000+ seeders, I am getting download speeds of less than 10 kB/s"

If you've only just started the download, obviously it won't be fast. Let it run and go do something else. For example, oatmeal.

xb6asd (170 posts) • 0

seriously use thunder to torrent, no need for vpn. its chinese and you can get free vip accounts from 2 minutes of baidu. (迅雷) . also seeders and leechers are only updated on the website evrry 24 hours. i set my upload amount to 1kbps but it still shows im a seeder.

thewonderer (59 posts) • 0

hmm, is Thunder called Xunlei? Is Thunder able to bypass the issues of not using a VPN in China (decent speeds). What are the vip accounts used for?

No spyware?

xb6asd (170 posts) • 0

if you're worried about spyware or malware get malewarebytes and get the premium code by 5 seconds of yahooing. xunlei is thunder, i get up to 1.15mbps.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

Wow, I wouldn't download torrents while logged into a VPN if I were you. If you're logged into your VPN through a Western country, you could get caught for piracy. That's one thing where being in China, on a regular old Chinese internet connection, is probably for the best.

GeogramattGeogramatt (203 posts) • 0

Wow, I wouldn't download torrents while logged into a VPN if I were you. If you're logged into your VPN through a Western country, you could get caught for piracy. That's one thing where being in China, on a regular old Chinese internet connection, is probably for the best.

Related forum threads

Login to post