GoKunming Forums

Sony stores /PS4 ?

Yansh87 (5 posts) • 0

你好 :)
hello guys ! im flying next month to kunming for 3 months semester in yunnan normal university

now i really want to buy a PS4 there, where can i find a store or a market that sells ?

im flying to kunming from HK but my flight leaves after 1 hour so i don't have time to buy it in HK :\

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

check sony.com.cn

it's in chinese, so have a local help you or use google translate.

you can probably order directly from the online store or get a list of official resellers in kunming from the web site.

amazon.cn might have it also.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

I might be wrong, but game consoles have not been 'officially' available for sale in stores or online in China. The Xbox One will be the first one ever. I think it's Jingdong (jd.com) who are going to sell those. Eventually with ridiculously high prices like other branded electronics.
Officially doesn't mean much here though, so it can probably be picked up from small stores or Taobao. Still, i would have preferred to get it in HK. Considerably less chances of having the console sold as new with swapped insides.

mPRin (821 posts) • 0

You can buy the xbox one, and possibly the PS4 (I haven't been in a while) in the five storey computer market next to the KFC on Yuantong Bei Lu.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

@mPRin, that's right. i was there the other day. i think the computer games are on the 3rd floor. and there are also a bunch of guys who make custom PCs there. but do you have experience with this place? do you know for a fact that they don't try to rip you off on components?

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Now consoles are legal in China the prices will come down.
One thing I did notice when looking at consoles for sale in China, at the unofficial stores, it that they are offered with many pirated games, one place offered me 30 discs of top titles, thrown in with the deal. This seems standard but is very naughty of them.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

www.pcworld.com/[...]

"Wang, however, doesn't plan on buying the mainland China edition Xbox One, but one from Hong Kong. He's worried that the Chinese government will restrict games rated for those 18 and older from being played on the local console."

That would make modding shops happy if they apply restrictions.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Most of the stuff sold here already is grey imported from HK or elsewhere. Although this will change over time. However the legal selling of units will also force down the price of the greys.

How would they apply restrictions anyway, other than applying region settings to machines (like that ever worked with DVD players), and only selling approved games in China.

Or is there another technical barrier that can be used?

By the way, I thought about bringing one in from the UK, but they are so darned heavy.

Yansh87 (5 posts) • 0

guys thanks for the quick answers :)
im thinking i will just buy a PS4 in the hong kong airport, guess its safer.

then bring it with me on the flight to kunming :)

atwillden (109 posts) • 0

Yan, just make sure to get an HK to China or HK to US style adaptor. I have a PS3 from HK and I could not get the plugs to fit in most Chinese wall sockets/surge protectors. If you're serious about protecting it from potential shock, try to get an adaptor with a fuse in it (most of the mainland power strips are just splitters, with no surge protection).

Related forum threads

Login to post