GoKunming Forums

Buying ultrabook in Kunming

thewonderer (59 posts) • 0

Hi, I want to get an ultrabook in the first week of arriving in kunming. I have heard that it might be better to buy one before arriving. Coming from Australia choice is good but prices are so so when compared to USA.

Is it worth me waiting till you get over to buy a windows 8.1 laptop with HD display? I heard that prices aren't that great, some are fake and the chinese software bundled.

Thanks

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

If you are coming through Hong Kong then get one there.
Laptops and PC are not cheap here. I find it cheaper in UK, seriously. If you have bulk purchasing companies like Best Buy, that will be your best choice.
You can get English Language software, as an upgrade if you buy Lenovo and then go to a Lenove official service centre. But only if the laptop has an official licensed copy of Windows on it, and so you need to buy Lenovo from an official approved Lenovo seller to be certain.
Yes there are fake computers, my wife almost bought a fake Lenovo, from a fake Lenovo store, in a big cyber mall.
Another guy bought a genuine laptop, advertised as 6gb Ram but was only 4gb, however you can't know until after your fire it up, and you need to break the seal on the box to do that.

Unless I was very tech savvy and knew the market (what and where to buy, and caveat emptor) here.
Considering all the risks and pain in the ass, and tiny saving (eroded by running around trying to sort issues), I would buy before I left home.

thanks tigertiger. Appreciate the heads up. I know UK has 20% VAT which kills prices their now and downunder is 10%.... think i will try and play it safe .... unless someone knows a really good shop with loads of choice and all legit..

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

Unless you are absolutely certain how, where and what to buy here, don't bother finding a way to buy a laptop here. There's wayyyy too much time wasted in bargaining, figuring out genuine from fake, and avoiding sneaky tricks from sellers, even from big national shops. Buying laptops would be much more straightforward in HK.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

I don't think it's worth it to go to Hong Kong unless you're flying in to Hong Kong on your way to Kunming.

There are reputable shops where there are no scams (but you can't bargain):
amazon.cn
newegg.cn
suning or suning.com (online store)

or, if you have a specific brand in mind, go to their online site and check if they have official resellers in kunming. those places will not scam you.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Agree with what others have said. I bought a big expensive laptop before coming. It was around $200 cheaper in NZ than the same Dell site in China and better spec'd. Laptops are cheaper in the west, haven't tried HK yet though.

Tip for buying a laptop: Splash out on the 3 year international warranties. Laptop components are designed to be at the end of their life after 3 years, but often fail before that. With my last laptop by 2.5 years things were breaking down and I essentially got an entirely new laptop as they replaced virtually every part in mine as it failed - all for free! Replacement components were either the same or better (new better screen/mobo/hard drive upgrade, DVD drive replacement and others).

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Yes - agree with Magnifico, spending extra money going to HK (especially if you have to stay there a few nights) is pointless, things will only be up to a few hundred $ cheaper but you will likely spend $500 on accommodation alone...

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

another option is this. your situation gives you more options since you're not stuck here, but for those who are here long-term.

there's a company called shipito.com

they ship anything bought in the US to anywhere in the world and the shipping costs are low.

amazon.com sometimes has amazing warehouse deals, refurbished, used items.

so i may use this in the future. i don't mind buying used electronics since your laptop will be outdated before it falls apart.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I googled around shipito, and there seem to be angry customers who feel they have been scammed.
I would like to use such a service but am now wary.

Thanks everyone. I will get a laptop here and try and get a good warranty too. Probably Dell.

Great to hear all your stories and advice.

Will be reading up on mobile phone operators and seller of new phones next....

Related forum threads

Login to post