GoKunming Forums

Need advice on travel from HK

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

China post or EMS?

Seriously though.
The cheapest option now you have booked your flight (if tickets cannot be exchanged for London KMG through ticket) is to cross over to Shenzen, and fly internal from there.
I believe there is a ferry from Shenzhen to HK, I am not sure how far from the airport it travels to-from. I also believe that there is now a convenient train.

For ref. I have flown from Manchester to Kunming on a through ticket. Bags were only checked in once, and I only paid excess baggage once. This was a really easy and seamless journey.

Jelles (5 posts) • 0

I just checked ctrip. Flights from Shenzhen are ranging from 700-800 in the beginning of August and drop as low as 440 kuai in the end of August. So I don't understand where you got the 200 pounds plus flights from.

Jelles (5 posts) • 0

"Yeah I done the Shenzhen way before so thought I'd check that one out again but it was still coming up with roughly same prices as HK lol"

I don't think so.

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

just did a quick search for you, redjon.

london —> bangkok
and then bangkok —> kunming via airasia might be a good option .... if you can change your tickets

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Thanks for all the advice guys, managed to find a return from HK going for 1200 kuai each late last night so think I can swallow that.

@jelles I checked the ctrip site agin and its saying minimum of 1000 kuai for one way on the day I want (5th August)
@yankee00 before I buy though what are the overland options because if its a lot cheaper may go with it!

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

CRE? I was kidding in my previous post. I thought you got that. Sorry

Jokes aside, if you can afford the tickets but think they are too expensive, just go ahead and buy them. Similar thing happened to me once with parents visiting in Beijing. They wanted to change plans and head straight to Beijing instead of the other destination literally the night before departure. I had to cancel the tickets and pay 5 times what I would normally pay for GZ-BJ tickets. But they are parents. If we can regularly go travelling, buy import beer and overpriced Western or Japanese food, I think we can do some sacrifices for family. You'll just have to tighten your belt until the next pay-check.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

Overland, it's a 22 hour train ride from Guangzhou, assuming zero delays. Soft sleeper costs like almost 600rmb each one way, and you might not even get tickets as it's a high season fight for those even.

1200 roundtrip airfare during high season? You better press book before price goes up or availability drops to less than 6. Those taxes and fuel charge suck though, but it's the same everywhere alas.

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

12 hours on a plane and straight on to 22 hours on a train? Have fun :)

Related forum threads

Login to post