GoKunming Forums

Fresh Oregano spice

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

If you like to cook Italien dishes its well into the season for picking fresh oregano in the surounding hills of kunming.
Grassy zones with calcium outcropings seemed to be the best.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

The western hills are full of Oregano, south of Xi Shan summit which is called Jin Bao shan, above the big cemetary, this is where we paraglide. I assume bamboo temple has some too but i havent been there in years. Towards the north is Snake mountain, very prominent in Kunming and most likely the closest for everyone.
Any place with grassy areas and calcium rock outcropings will have Oregano growing within the grass, it's quite abundent. Dont keep it in a plastic bag as it will quickly sweat and turn brown, making it useless; use a breathable material bag for storage and drying. A good sized batch can be picked up in 30 minutes to an hour and last until next season.
It's available from June until late september.
I can send you a photo of what it looks like but the aroma when squeezed says it all.
Pasta, a dash of salt, olive oil and fresh Oregano......mmmmmm.

blue. (170 posts) • 0

mike air, hello. If you go there, can you pick up some and put in a glass and contact me? I'll pay for that+kuai di. thanks.

xb6asd (170 posts) • 0

thanks for killing my all organic imported oregano business

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

good point! is the stuff in these hills organic? and how do you know that children haven't peed on it?

Dazzer (2813 posts) • 0

never put all yer eggs in one basket, biz 101
you never know if someone has peed on it, wiz 101

Related forum threads

Login to post