GoKunming Forums

Japanese Encephalitis

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

For the record, the email address for the International Clinic appears to be med.kmg@blesschina.org

SarahG (12 posts) • 0

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the information. I saw a pharmacist the other day who seemed more balanced than the person I saw previously, so hoping to go ahead with the original plan.

I was planning on getting the bus to Yuanyang and staying at a guesthouse there that has tour guides (2 nights). What has anyone else done when they've gone? I'm not aware of any group trips that run there?

SarahG (12 posts) • 0

Sorry - just realised I didn't respond to the posts - yes, I was advised to scrap the Yuanyang part.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Skip one of the most beautiful things you will ever see because of an irrational fear? Why not just stay at home and look at YouTube videos?

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

@SarahG
Any and all little guesthouses there have small maps showing where the best viewpoints are. Most are easily walkable fom the small town (the one up the hill. not the more modern town - which shares its name - down the bottom). Don't fret about super-rare diseases. Just go for it. You only live once!

Magnifico (1981 posts) • 0

Sarah's trip to Yunnan:
Takes extra precautions against super-rare diseases. Gets 1000 vaccinations. Avoids remote areas. Stays in Kunming and gets hit by a bus while crossing the street.

(just kidding)

Edit: the joke is in bad taste, but ..... there is a fable I vaguely remember about a king who was extra cautious about being poisoned, but then died in another manner.... so hence the bad joke.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Sarah, just go to Yuanyang and stop worrying. As everybody here has said, your chances of getting Japanese encephalitis here are way below your chances of tripping while walking on a flat sidewalk near your home, falling and crushing your skull on impact. I'm sure there are places in the world where the disease is really rampant, but not in Yunnan.

SarahG (12 posts) • 0

Hi, yes I'm going ahead with it. Any good advice re: trips to Yuanyang would be appreciated! Ps, if anyone fancies meeting up in first few days I'm there, let me know.. I've got a couple of days in Kunming before heading off to Yuanyang.

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

Good work Sarah, tell those paranoid doctors who get leaned on by the vaccine pharmaceutical companies to go screw themselves!

Related forum threads

Login to post