GoKunming Forums

Living in Dianchi Road or KIA/Guandu neighborhoods

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

Was wondering if people who live in either of these two neighborhoods could give some feedback about what it's like living there.

Dianchi Road is so long. Is there a specific area that is best? Like near the Nanya Mall? Also how far from Dianchi is it to get to the city center (without a car - e-bike a possibility)?

Same with the area around Guandu (I guess where the KIA international school is?!) - how far to get to the city center?

We have two small kids so as a family I doubt we'll be zipping around and about everyday, but my husband needs to access the city center and Wenlin jie area at least a few times a week (and sometimes late at night).

Also if you have any general feedbk about quality of living, expat-type services, etc. Thanks!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Dianchi Lu is indeed long. I live at the south end and out to the lake. It is not convenient at all.
There are several large housing developments.
Dianchi Wei Chen is the biggest, it has a few shops but really you will want access to the markets
If you don't have the skills to live like a local, then it may be a bit of a problem when you first arrive. Also in DianChi Wei Chen you find it hard to get a taxi, they just don't cruise that area.
Nan Ya would be an excellent area as the rest of DianChi area is poorly serviced at the moment.
Find out where the main bus routes are. Not only are there more buses, there are more taxis.
With small kids it helps to be near a hospital, just for peace of mind.
The standard of living and quality of life in many developments depends on how much you pay. The last place we rented was over very expensive, but we were away from traffic and in a very nice neighbourhood.

A lot will depend on how small your kids are, how mobile they are, what diversions you need to provide for them and if they are ready for kindy or school.
Dianchi Weichen is about 12km from the city centre, and there are regular busses, but they are crowded. Like I said, you will be lucky to get a taxi.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

KIA is really far out of town. Most people live around there for work in the south or their kids attend KIA. It is a pleasant spacious clean residential area and has a big pool. Expat food wise their is a Wicker Basket and one other store. No major shopping center nearby. Not as many buses into town as Nanya.

Nanya has a Carrefour and a whole major shopping mall, golf range, the Wyndham, and is closer to town, but more traffic and people congestion. Except for the very modern and expensive looking apartment block attached to it, not many nice neighborhoods around it.

NingSi (61 posts) • 0

Thanks for the info.
What is considered very expensive rent in those areas?

Would a decent 2 bedroom for about 2700-3000 be hard to come by?

blobbles (958 posts) • 0

The KIA is off Guangfu lu, NOT in Guandu area, just to be clear. Its pretty far away, but not too bad at all. Lived out that way for a couple of years now and its fine. The Wicker Basket south (www.gokunming.com/en/listings/item/32966/wicker_basket) is where most westerners congregate out there and most seem to live in and around that little neighbourhood. There is a small "Kiwi cafe" just up the road from Wicker Basket too which make OK kiwified western food.

It can be a bit of a mission accessing Wenlin Jie area however, there are buses that go and a subway from the Nanya mall in the far future (probably 5 years away). But if you are keen on cycling its about 30 minutes by bike (average person speed) or about 20 if you are fast! By e-bike is about the same a little bit quicker probably for most.

Guandu area is even further, but with the addition of the subway nearby I am sure it now feels a lot closer! Getting a subway to Chuanxin Gulou Station station and busing or walking from their to Wenlin Jie is a decent option now (though I haven't done it personally). Expat services are few and far between out Guandu way though with Napa Valley being the closest I believe? There are your normal supermarkets out there too though.

There may be a Metro going up on the South Side of Da Shang Hui too, intersection with Guangfu Lu, which should considerably improve the services out there (if the sign I read was to be believed!).

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

I've never looked for housing in either area, but my guess is that range should work in KIA area.

The problem with Nanya may not be price as upping your range to 3500 has got to net something. The issue is that the complex is high end and new relatively, so many units aren't being finished out to rent. Also, not as many children there as KIA by far.

redjon77 (510 posts) • 0

Nanya shopping area has few little residential areas just within 5-10 minutes walk that should be good for that price & near to all stuff you probably want :)
Rest of Dianchi lu can be a pain for anything like taxis (taxis dont like fairs often going to near the end of road like I am at mo') or just wanting to pop out to store for quick something as often never to near to much.
As for the journey to near center it can be a pain most days as I do it, in the car its 30-40 mins good day, bad traffic days can be an hour.....

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

If KIA is far out of town, has it moved? It used to be in the city. Wicker Basket south is not far out either - great bakery, at least for bread, & a good US-style salad bar. The foreigners who congregate there tend to be Protestant Christians of the non-drinking variety, largely or mostly from the US, but they do not beat you with Bibles etc.
Your budget for a decent 2-bedroom should be fine, although I'm not going to get into an discussion of what 'decent' might mean.

AlexKMG (2387 posts) • 0

KIA and Wicker South haven't moved, but I'd consider them far from Wenlin jie which the OP referenced. And if you're against Protestant Christianity for any reason, might be best to not hang around KIA and Wicker South.

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

@Alex, NingSi didn't reference Wenlinjie, are you interpreting 'city center' as 'Wenlinjie'?

Related forum threads

Login to post