论坛

Yellow Fever (relationship) documentary

yankee00 (1632 posts) • 0

It's a good way to empower White males who are unable to normally get involved in a relationship. It also gives them a sense of accomplishment. I think it's a positive phenomenon and should continue to be encouraged by Hollywood. The world needs more mixed babies.

AndrewDAndrewD (72 posts) • 0

I don't know what year that film was made in but those guys look like weirdos. One guy even has a mullet. I couldn't finish that documentary, the production was to low and the voice over girl was just annoying.

SpartansSpartans (184 posts) • 0

Well, the director was selecting a man who was looking for a chinese wife. She had to interview a few volunteers before she found the right one. Then the documentary focuses on accompanying the california man all the way to China to find and meet his wife, and bring her to the USA. The documentary is narrated by the director herself and she is an american born chinese. Really? I found her voice quite sexy.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I think they make a good pair. She is 30 and uneducated with little hope of finding a man in China and he is 60 and with few prospects as well.

If he can get rid of all the pictures of his former friends I think they can get along well.

Lets see what happens in part 2

My first thought upon finishing to watch the two part documentary was: Steven was a man disconnected from his own masculinity.

Debbie Lum (the director) says at one time that his reality is "hard".
If you take a good look at his life: hoarding things, lack of financial security, no savings, meager job... For Steven it's all about finding an ideal (asian) partner.

The words of Sam Keen came to my mind: The two most essential things a man should ask himself are:

1)Where am I going in life?

and then:

2)Who am I taking with me?

However, when this 1-2 order is inverted, a collapse of masculinity happens.

The chinese woman (Sandy) was looking for guidance and purpose, but because Steven had no ultimate purpose or "mission" in life, after the marriage it all started crumbling down, and thus the 4 week separation...

Had the director not intervened, the couple wouldn't have had reunited. I am left wondering if most of this yellow fever phenomena wouldn't actually be cause by a collapse or deficit in modern "manhood".

You were right HFCAMPO, she was a "leftover woman " as people here in China say. Interestingly this is becoming a solution, specially for the rich middle age chinese women 29 and above: finding a western man to marry, because those women claim that western men don't care about relationship competition/control while the chinese annoyingly do.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

I just completed part 2 and it seems this couple will stay together in their symbiotic relationship.

Some lessons I have learned while living in China are are:

1 - Be clear while you are dating that you do NOT plan to return to the west. This will eliminate the Visa hunters who just want a Green Card.

2 - Chinese wife must learn english (University) to establish good communication.

3 - Do Not live in the same province as the in-laws. I told my wife, If I can come to China, then you can come to Yunnan. In laws are the primary source of marital problems.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Finished watching Part 1. I don't understand why this guy Steven didn't bother to take Chinese lessons knowing he 'loves' Chinese women(for five years). He should've found a woman that understood and spoke better English. It takes a lot of guts to go to a strange land and not be able to speak the language and not have any friends. Sandy is an amazing woman in Part 1.

Related forum threads

Login to post