论坛

Kunming rainfall

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The website I provided above now lists total rainfall for Kunming as 896 mm for 2012. 1979 saw the highest rainfall with 1611 mm and 2009 saw the lowest rainfall with 638 mm.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

@HFCAMPO, i have not found one, but would be interested why the average wind speed has increased especially the last several years here in Kunming.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

Can you share that website please. Wind speeds have changed drastically in Kunming because of the great increase in number of highrise buildings. When I arrived 10 years ago, there were less than 10 buildings above 7 stories. I have been living in the same area for more than 5 years and the wind has changed dramatically because of the highrise buildings nearby. Also, keep in mind that all records such as precipitation and wind speed come from the airport. The new airport is responsible for this now and the location will obviously produce different results.

tallamerican (396 posts) • 0

HFACMPO, the tutiempo website that you referenced, on the column just to the right of annual rainfall has average yearly windspeed. Very interesting to see the rise.

mike4g_air (788 posts) • 0

There is a worldwide pattern of change with the jet stream moving much further north in the summer and further south in the winter .
The jet stream is a high altitude wind which can effect thunder showers(monsoon) drift. The further north the jet stream migrates the more east winds at high altitude Yunnan gets durring the summer months, pushing the monsoon off the Yunnan plateau. Historically the monsoon drifts with west winds from Myanmar and Thailand heading east of yunnan
This may point towards change in Yunnan's average weather.

Increased wind speed could be from a physical alteration of the landscape.
The data is from one location only. interesting.

I monitor this website for most weather. Worldwide data sharing lead by NOAA.Cant get more direct data..

The top right of each chart shows the Kunming lakes and the Dali lake
www.monsoondata.org/wx/india.fcst.html

East Asia but at a different scale

wxmaps.org/pix/ea.fcst.html

Main page for charts
wxmaps.org/pix/forecasts.html

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

Wind speed is tricky. If the wind is measured near the ground, and new buildings are constructed you can get accelerated wind speeds around/between/near taller buildings. But the actual wind patterns themselves have not changed.
If a ground level meter is moved to a rooftop, you get the same thing.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

According to this website, Kunming's rainfall was only 898 mm in 2013. Despite the rain that filled some reservoirs, Kunming still has not surpassed the 1000 mm of rainfall per year as was done a few years ago.

HFCAMPO (3062 posts) • 0

The years with the highest and lowest rainfall are listed below:

HIGH – 79 = 1611, 80 = 1280, 81 = 1378, 83 = 1375, 86 = 1263, 94 = 1367, 97 = 1398

LOW – 82 = 741, 84 = 719, 87 = 590, 88 = 707, 09 = 638, 11 = 763

Alien (3819 posts) • 0

Impression:" over the last few years the summer rains have generally been starting a bit earlier most years - seem to me they didn't much start until early June about 10 years ago. Temperatures, on average, seem slightly higher in the winter months too (despite the snow last winter).

Related forum threads

Login to post