论坛

Help with driver's license test still exist in Shangarila?

theoxygenfactory (1 post) • 0

Hi there,

I'm in a rush to get my license, I have the US license, just need to take the writing test. Unfortunately I don't have the time at the moment to study for the test, I was told that you can take the test in Shangarila (Diqing) and basically hire a verbal translator who basically does the whole thing for you. Does anyone know about this, if so please let me know, really appreciate it.

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I spent a week studying for my test, but it could have been done in 3 days.

It is worth studying for the test. It will make your driving much safer and less stressful. How? by making you more aware of how/why local drivers do things, you can also anticipate better.

Over the years I have been in cars where the driver, so I thought, was driving like an a****le. Now I have studied the Chinese traffic regs I can see that the drivers were within the law. What they did was not only legal, but for other drivers was predictable. And now that I know, that other drivers know what our driver is doing (and is therefore safer) it is a lot less stressful.

In addition, I am much less likely to suffer from road rage on a BCD.

If anyone wants an electronic copy of the test questions, in English, please PM me with your email address. I can forward them to you.

OceanOcean (1193 posts) • 0

I've experiences difference experiences to tigertiger's. I passed the Chinese driving test last year and am continually amazed at how frequently Chinese drivers ignore or break what are (supposedly) the driving laws. It's as if they pass the test (presumably - many cheat, I know) and then do whatever they like. But I do agree that studying for the test is better than "cheating" your way through it. Chinese road signs and traffic rules are often different form western ones and it helps to know what you should be doing (even if nobody else seems to be)!

GoK Moderator (5096 posts) • 0

I agree with you Ocean. I do see the law broken a lot, especially those rules that require the driver to yield.

But there are many occasions where I thought the driver was cutting people up, when in fact he has the right of way.

Also overtaking on the nearside lane on the highway is not illegal. In China there is no overtaking lane as such. You may pass on either side. Knowing this may prevent you from being swiped by another vehicle, if you predominantly only check the mirrors for what you consider to be the fast lane.

There are several other rules that go against the UK highway code (I assume there are other examples from other country's regs), and seem counter intuitive (to what we were taught). Knowing these differences has changed the way I see Chinese driving, and has helped learn more about the 'rules of the road' (not regulations but the accepted norms for driving).

One thing I did notice about the test questions/answers. I don't recall seeing many prohibitions about driver behaviour, other than the road signs (no right turn etc.). In fact it is almost a charter for bad driving. Basically, if the other guy is breaking the law, yield. Almost a recipe for cutting people up.

Related forum threads

Login to post