论坛

Memories of Moondog

apricotolive (5 posts) • 0

Moondog was alive during Kunming's foreigner active period 2004-2014.
Fritz and the dutch bar manager were great hosts and it was a cool venue to meet eat and hangout.
The 4-5 years i spent in Kunming were the best years of my life and all of those bars (there were lots of them ! ) made the experience so much more memorable. cheers and all the best to the bar owners, locals and Kunming friends who made it happen !

zhl123 (10 posts) • +1

Its Fritz,from german. Fritz had big whisky collection and he drink with my boyfriend, and he always runs around busy behind bar. There was live music and a guy from Holland playing guitar. He played every day. Fritz was playing pool. I remember.

zhl123

I did you an up vote but i see it went minus, don't know why?. Yes the Dutchman was the bar owner at the time with Chinese wife and

son. i think they returned to Holland. you are living out of China now?

Haali (1178 posts) • 0

yeh as I said, you are talking about Fried (pronounced Freed) and Joost. They were Moondog co-owners for a while I believe. Later Fried co-opened The Park and The Turtle. As you correctly say, they have both long since returned to their home countries.

zhl123 (10 posts) • 0

Mr Haali can you say where in German Fritz (FREED). is now. What is he doing? He has bar also? We want to visit.

Tom69 (151 posts) • 0

apricotolive, what do you mean Kunming's active period for foreigners? You mean since 2014 more and more have been departing than newcomers arriving, right?

Tom69, yes it was really buzzing back in mid 2000,s. A fast demolition of the older Kunming areas transformed the city and the charm and winding old streets turned into high rise and commercial areas.After the 2008 Olympics I noticed it was starting a decline and it was hard to recognize many areas around 2014. Bars in the university area, Wen lin jer?, once packed with partying foreigners were now almost 100% locals. I have hundreds of Kunming photos from 2004 so the memories are still alive.

DanDare (141 posts) • 0

Yeh the place is less attractive to sinophiles now, not much of old China left in the city. Also I think 2018 was a game changer for many. Lots of lifers were forced to leave as no visas were being offered for maybe 6 months before Olympic games. Maybe a lot of these lifers never returned. This would be true across China but places like Kunming probably had a larger proportion of lifers.

Related forum threads

Login to post