论坛

No more student visas for over 60's

bubblyian (102 posts) • 0

Tried to renew my resident permit for another year, but the school refused because I am "over 60" - I am 61 (renewed last year no problem when I was also over 60). Spoke to the Education department in Kunming who confirmed that the rule has changed and they will not issue the form JW202 for students over 60 anymore. BEWARE!!!!

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

That sucks! Age discrimination is real. Are people over 60 not worth teaching?

bubblyian (102 posts) • 0

Clearly!!!! Maybe the government thinks that for foreigners to study Chinese is only relevant in connection with improving employment prospects (to help Chinese nationals?) and not for non-working retired people to stay here and spend their savings here. Contrast with the special more-favourable visa rules in Thailand for retired people.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • 0

Yes!!! I'm planning my exit for next year. (fingers crossed).

JanJal (1243 posts) • +1

Did they mention when exactly the policy changed?

I would suspect this change of policy relates to the corona virus being more dangerous for older individuals.

If someone requires a student visa to stay here, they may think that the person has no other reason to be here and want to avoid the health risk.

Liumingke1234 (3297 posts) • +1

@JanJal
You are probably right. It sucks. It seems 60 is the magic number for the "you are of

no value to us" so leave.

AlPage48 (1394 posts) • +1

60 does seem to be a magic number.

My wife told me she was able to get health insurance because she has a Chinese ID.

She got it before age 60 and it's supposedly good for life.

However, they will not issue new insurance for people beyond the age of 60, probably because they might use it and cost the insurance company some money.

Related forum threads

Login to post